Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help. What did I do Wrong? UPDATE ON PAGE 2 >

Help. What did I do Wrong? UPDATE ON PAGE 2

Help. What did I do Wrong? UPDATE ON PAGE 2

Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Bevanger,
Keep up the great attitude! :D
My first quilt did the same thing, put it away and never finished it.
10 years later and over 100 quilts done I still have a lot to learn and
enjoy every minute of it. The Gang here is the BEST!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 AM

Use the index card trick to check for 1/4 in each line on the card is 1/4

check your machine and when you buy a foot they are not always the size they say. you can measure over from your needle and put a piece of tape down :D
Old 05-28-2008, 09:55 AM

:D Don't get discaraged....Very soon you will be giving instruction in here......We all had our first quilting mistakes...lol ....It does have a solution...Get yourself a good ripper.......
Old 05-28-2008, 02:22 PM

I found the ¼" seam was really one of the most important learning tools for quilting, especially for piecing. My machine has a ¼" stitch....but it works the best if I set it & then move the needle just one notch to the right....because once you've sewn your seam & press it....you loose just a tad again....It seems to work for me. I do have a ¼" foot as well, but rarely use it because I really really have to concentrate to keep that little sucker right on the very edge of the fabric.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Loretta
I was told when I started quilting 3 years ago that people who have never sewn regular clothes make the better quilters. So since I used to be a clothing sewer, I had to slow down and really think about getting everything perfect. My big problems were not cutting the fabric exact and not pressing more as I went along. Remember- that is press---not iron!
Gottcha
In reg sewing, we were spoiled with patterns. You can't mess up cutting them out. Well you can. Well heck ya know what I mean. I ordered another Brother and will get soon. it has all the feet. Next yr with Taxes hubby said if I still want a better one, he'll get me one. I loved my brother
Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 PM

Well, I think anyone who can construct clothing from a pattern is a genius! Even a simple pattern makes my brain hurt. And I love your problem-solving skills Bevanger. You will surpass a bunch of us in no time! Just remember to to share your tips and photos! Onward!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Do you have a 1/4 inch foot? that would help you keep your stitch line more accurate.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:33 AM

Yes, I think slowing down in the key. I have sewn clothing since I was little. I have access to three different machines and when I sew on my Mom's old Singer (1952 model), it only has one speed.........very fast. LOL! It's very hard to slow down on that machine!

Linda D.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chele
Well, I think anyone who can construct clothing from a pattern is a genius! Even a simple pattern makes my brain hurt. And I love your problem-solving skills Bevanger. You will surpass a bunch of us in no time! Just remember to to share your tips and photos! Onward!
Aren't you sweet. Well I had to make my clothes. I swear clothing stores don't get the idea that there is Tall heavy women out there. I'm a Frank Sinatra person. (MY WAY) It seems whenever I try to go "by the book", I mess up. My Crochet, Cross Stitch, embroidery, sewing clothes EVERYTHING is done by Frank Sinatra...
Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bebe
Do you have a 1/4 inch foot? that would help you keep your stitch line more accurate.
My brother sewing machine that died had all the feet. Hubby told me last night to order another one (Brother) as I really miss mine.