Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge...........with a prize >

weight loss challenge...........with a prize

weight loss challenge...........with a prize

Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Leota
lol trupeach... It's ok to have a little ice cream every 2 years... just keep focused on the final goal.
well it is not the ice cream every 2 years that made me fat it is eating brownies topped with raspberry and chocolate frosting everyday that made me a blimp :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 PM

yeah but now you can start afresh :D
Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 AM

Any suggestions on keeping people that live with you from sabotaging your attempts to eat right? I made cute cakes using the cupcake mix my SQA sent me for my BD and we gobbled them down in about 15 mins. Ok, so much for "portion control"... so next idea... don't fix cake at all...save them for my Girl Scout Ceremony meeting...
Last night MOM wanted cute cakes... she said they were "just the right size" yeah right... well, I gave in and we have 4 cup cakes left this morning out of 24!!!! Yeah... I love cake without the icing and I have zero self control when it's put in front of me.... HEEEEEEEEELlllllllPPP!!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Whether I want to or not, I have to do a follow-up at the doc tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed, eyes, legs and anything else that will twist.......hope he is pleased with my progress. They are stiff on ya at that place, so when I think I'm doing pretty good they make me feel like a sinner. If they only knew that a few years back I was over 300#'s, so this weight 222#'s is wonderful, but I still need to drop. Y'all rub a rabbits foot or something for me. Heck, bend over and pick a four-leaf-clover, snicker! My health was in jeopardy and I'm feeling so well now days. I've been reading all the comments and I think you gals are the greatest. Mostly, I cut portions, left off bread and if I had some potatos, I would not have any other starch and if I had cornbread, I always had greens....dang it, you just have to season greens!!!!!! but, I only took a small amount, mostly pot liquor for my cornbread. I got smaller dinner plate, smaller fork, drink a bottle 20 oz before a meal. The one thing I still cannot do is walk, run or use my foot much. So I'm lacking in exercise. I eat irregularly and this diabetes is a bummer. I've used artificial sweetners until I can't cheat with desserts...they make me sick. It is a lot of work. We all have to do what we can, so WE CAN! Can't we? I had a little cousin in California who had leukemia and it advanced from the treatments to lymphoma. She was a VERY big gal in girth but not really tall. We were talking one night and I said, I'll make a deal with you, I'll spit out one mouthful every meal, just for you. hahahahaha, I said, I'll put a ziplock in the deepfreezer and use it just for that. SHe gagged and said, don't do me any favors. But, secretly, I went to the toilet and spit out one mouthful every meal. I made sure it was in the middle of the meal and then by the time I got back to my food, I didn't want it. She is gone now, but she told everyone I was spitting my food for her. hahahahaha.......so gals, spit a mouthful out just for me! but don't send it to me. G'nite Ruth
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM

Ruth,
I'm praying that you have a good report and good weight loss.
Exercise...since you can't walk. sit in a straight back chair and march in place. Lifting your legs as if you are marching... yes it really works :D it is strengthening your legs. There are numerous chair exercises that will help you with your "mobility". Try using stevia for your non-sugar sweetener. I am severely allergic to all artificial sweeteners and Stevia gives me the sweetness without affecting my glucose levels :D. Hang in there friend.. I want to here from "less" of you :D and you will reach that goal.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 AM

I totally fell off my diet and exercise program this weekend, what with DS's birthday party and all. But I'm back and ready to get going again. Made a delicious roast chicken last night with fresh rosemary from my garden. It's such a great feeling to be able to step out my back door for ingredients!
On a completely unrelated note, I went shopping with my son's father yesterday. This is a big improvement for us. We've been split up for 3 years, and my new bf and I have been together for a year (known each other for 7, he was actually my ex's best friend since they were 14). Had a fantastic conversation with my ex, he and his gf just split and he called ME to talk about it. I never thought we'd get to that point of being friends again, so I am super happy. Makes life much easier when we are getting along and it's nice to know we've finally reached a point where we can be friends again without all the stress we used to have. He is a great guy, we just weren't (and aren't) compatible. And my BF approves of the ex and I being friends, so it was a good day all around. Sorry, I know it's off topic, but I just had to share with someone. :-)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Just weighed myself - I've lost 5 lbs this month! :-)
Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Awwwww, how nice of you Leota. Thanks a million. Well the visit went well. No weight loss but then nothing gained either. Had so much walking to do to get to the office that my feet are so painful tonight that I could not eat. I work during meal times and I didn't get to eat on time. That is the hard part, regulate my hours. Gotta work when work is available. Sometimes I could do about anything but right now......I'm at the mercy of another human being.I'm hoping you all have been successful today.

Blessings, Ruth

Originally Posted by Leota
Ruth,
I'm praying that you have a good report and good weight loss.
Exercise...since you can't walk. sit in a straight back chair and march in place. Lifting your legs as if you are marching... yes it really works :D it is strengthening your legs. There are numerous chair exercises that will help you with your "mobility". Try using stevia for your non-sugar sweetener. I am severely allergic to all artificial sweeteners and Stevia gives me the sweetness without affecting my glucose levels :D. Hang in there friend.. I want to here from "less" of you :D and you will reach that goal.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Ruth - Is that a picture of your dog?? I want him/her. She/he is so cute - I want it now!!! Oh well, I tried.

I am so discouraged - I have gained almost 3 lbs back. I just can not stop eating. Everyday I wake up and say I am going to start over today. I take the dog and do my 2.5 mile walk - breakfast is fine, lunch is kinda okay, but come around 3 - forget it. I am munching away while making dinner - and then it is pretty good after dinner. May have a fruit or WW cookie. I just can not believe that I am so weak that I have to eat so much to gain 3 lbs. This is a really stupid question, but we have nurses on this site. I am on Orencia and I notice that as soon as I have the infusion - this weight gain starts up. This couldn't have anything to do with it - could it. I don't think so - if I could cut out 3:00 to 6:00 I would be okay. Okay enough complaining --- tomorrow starts a new day.

I am so proud of all you ladies - you are doing so good. Wow Keep up the good work.

Carole
Old 05-19-2010, 04:42 AM

Carole: we don't do Orencia infusions at our office but some of our patients are on it. One of the side effects that most of them mention is nausea for 4-5 days after the infusion. Could you be experiencing nausea and mistaking it for hunger? Maybe try a few crackers or drinking some gingerale when you first feel this symptom and see if that satisfies the feeling. This is just my humble opinion. There are drugs that definitely increase appetite, steroids (Prednisone) being one. Ask your infusionist the next time and see if other pts feel hunger. I'm not on rx but 3:00 is my worst time no matter what I eat for lunch. Soup, veggies, and something light were suggested (sometimes it helps, sometimes I eat 1/2 pound of cheese before supper>)

I'm not sure I answered your question but meds affect all body systems so I'm sure the Orencia is doing that. Good luck-hope the rx works. If I find out any more info I'll let you know and please do the same--I like to be able to answer questions my patients have.