Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

you know she is going to find it's nice to have more than one quilt for the nursery...if you make one it will get used. kind of funny, the quilt that lived on my bed was from Pottery Barn...for about 5 years i made a couple hundred quilts, every one in my family and my dh's family all had quilts i made...just didn't get around to making one for us...(kind a like the mechanic with the broken car in the yard) i can finally say yes, i made the quilt on the bed...in fact, now i've made 2 just for us :)
i know people who say they'd rather have a store bought one, i've never had someone turn one down though, or not use it once they have it.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 AM

Did she say she didn't want a quilt at all or just didn't need one for the crib? I'd make one anyway, they will need other quilts/blankets to use other than the decorative one matching the room.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 AM

Some people are just not into the "Quilt" thing.....too bad for them. I would make one any way and save it for the baby until
it's older as a surprise! :lol:
Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 AM

My 23 yr. old GD still has her stick figure quilt I made when she was 5. It's pretty faded but she won't part with it.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 AM

Sometimes first time Mommies are very excited about everything being 'perfect' for their babies and to them it can be all about 'matching'. After they get their 2nd one it becomes a much more relaxed atmosphere. Try not to be hurt and just make your new baby a quilt and give it to the young parents and tell them it is an 'spare'. Also, first time parents are not aware of how much laundry those little bitty humans produce. They tend to get tinkle, poopoo and spitup on everything. They will be glad to have the 'spare'!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:26 AM

A former (@#$%^&^%$) DIL took the quilt and baby clothes to the flea market and sold them.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:48 AM

Look at it this way now you can pick out the pattern and fabric for the new quilt, and give it to your brother I bet he will like it.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Aw, hugs!!!!!!!!!! I agree, babies need SO MANY blankets, go ahead and make one if you want to!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:28 AM

I know how you feel. My DIL is kind of like that. She & my son applied for the adoption on a Chinese baby 5 years ago & they are finally getting her in June or July. I made a quilt for the baby 2 years ago and it is folded up in a drawer..go figure! This is the same DNL that sold her grandmother's quilt at her yard sale 3 years ago because it didn't match anything in the house, I bought it & told her that if she wanted to sell any of the quilts I made for our China doll, let me know I wanted them back!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 AM

Have to add this in. I did a quilt( thick comforter) using large butterflies in earth tones, one of my first projects. My eldest son practially begged for it, his dad wanted it too, but I gave it to son. He used it until he married an interior designer, and she just couldn"t stand anything "country". So, it came back home, I rescued a few wallhanging I'd made from the trash, plus the pillow made from his gramdma's dresses. He was okay with everything but the pillow, and he was so relieved when he realized I had it. Now divorced, but the pillow is on his quest bed !!Said ex also threw away his gramndmas's plain metal music box, the ONE thing he tresured above all else.Marriage lasted less than a year!!LOL