Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Is that supposed to be on the belt ? I am trying to get a book on the featherweight parts and service.
Thanks,
Sharon
Hi Sharon, I just looked at my featherweight. That knob is higher up on mine. Like your higher one. I don't have a clue if that is suppose to be like that. Billy or Charlee will probably know. Beautiful machines though!

:)
Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Is that supposed to be on the belt ? I am trying to get a book on the featherweight parts and service.
Thanks,
Sharon
Hi Sharon, I just looked at my featherweight. That knob is higher up on mine. Like your higher one. I don't have a clue if that is suppose to be like that. Billy or Charlee will probably know. Beautiful machines though!

Thanks for your reply. I ended up with two featherweights when bidding on Ebay! they are slightly different but not much. I need the service/parts book and attachments!! I was outbid in the last seconds on a great pkg of attachments .. I cried! it was soooooooooooo close . Well , I will keep looking. :)
Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM

That wheel moves up or down so you can wind your bobbin with the wheel riding against the belt.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Linda, that's a gorgeous cabinet...looks like a Goodrich! :) I'd be on that one like bees to honey!
Charlee I don't know anything about Goodrich sewing machines. Do you have any? Not sure I want to pay their asking price.

Also, on a 1040-1950 Montgomery Wards Sewing machine where would I point the owner to look for its serial number. He was able to give me other numbers but not the ones I am looking for.

Thank you April and Melody. I will let you know if I get it. The cabinet is what struck me also :roll:
I don't have a Goodrich, yet! ;) I just enlarged the photo tho and read what was on the center of the treadle...I'm thinking the machine matches that, altho I could be wrong thinking that way...they could have replaced the machine with another brand.

On the Monkey Ward machine? I really don't know, try under the base of the machine?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suzanne57
Originally Posted by cjaye44
Billy, I am in the process of getting all the "ingredients" on your list. I have been everywhere trying to find Kerosene only to learn it is available only in the winter for heaters. I went to a small hardware store and they suggested mineral spirits as a substitute. Will this work?? Next, the Scotts pourable...all I get is "never heard of it". Customer service around here is zilch! Lastly, the grease. I found the Tri Flow oil but not the grease for the gears. There again, all I get is a look that says "Lady, you don't know what you're doing or what you're looking for". I've been to hardware stores, auto parts stores and Walmart. My son suggested a bicycle shop. I found one and they said they use a clear grease on the gears of all their high performance bikes. I also found a white lithium grease in a tube which is used for gears, at least it had a picture of gears on the packaging.

So...can you help?? I am so looking forward to this. I have already printed the first installment and put it in a binder for future reference. Thank you so much for taking the time to help us all out!!

I found kerosene at Lowe's in the paint dept. They were proud of it at $10.00 a gal but at least I found it.
I am going to quote both of you on this one!!! Lowes is the only place I have seen the Kerosene and I bought it there for <gulp> $10.:roll: Years ago you used to be able to buy it at the mom and pop gas stations but I dont know of many of those around. As far as the fuel oil goes I would probably stay away from that even though it MAY be the same I am just not sure. I have even thought about using Diesel fuel but them again I am not sure about that one either.

DO NOT USE MINERAL SPIRITS!!!!!

That will take the finish right off of the machine and there goes the whole thing.

Kerosene has the cleaning properties and it also lubricates and penetrates the parts of the machine. The 128 that I am using for this tute, it was sluggish and tight feeling when you turned the handwheel. But now it will spin almost effortlessly!

Now for the rest of the ingredients your looking for...... Scotts Liquid Gold is also at Lowes in the cleaning and polishing things. Also check your local Dollar Store or Grocery Store, I know Kroger has the polish.

The grease you can find at your local Singer dealer or go see if they have it at you local sewing/vacuum repair shop.

I hope this helps you out.

Billy
Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

Jump on the Goodrich but offer $100 and you should get it. You do not see many of those floating around!! As far as the Monkey Ward machine depending on the manufacturer it may be on the side of the bed like the Kenmores had.

Billy
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

Thanks,
Sharon

I think it has something to do with the year it was made and the fact that later on the engineers probably changed up the design a bit just to make an improvement.

Like it was said earlier you just move the winder to the wheel and your good to go!!

Billy
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

I was outbid in the last seconds on a great pkg of attachments .. I cried! it was soooooooooooo close . Well , I will keep looking. :)
You know that all of the low shank Singer attachments will work on the Feather Weights. Find some for a 15, 66 or 99 and you will pay less and get more!!

Billy
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I was outbid in the last seconds on a great pkg of attachments .. I cried! it was soooooooooooo close . Well , I will keep looking. :)
You know that all of the low shank Singer attachments will work on the Feather Weights. Find some for a 15, 66 or 99 and you will pay less and get more!!

Billy
Oh great! Thanks Billy for that information! I will look for such! Woot :)

Oh, so the roller thing does not have to be on the belt? that was my concern mostly. Also, on the 1957 one, the screw on the front cover will now move! What should I put on it to help?

Thanks ,

Sharon
Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Ok, Ok, I must fess up! the *roller* thingy as I was calling it! is actually the bobbin winder engager! One is in the up position on one machine and the other is in the down position of the other! So all is fine! I can honestly say I feel silly, but it has been some time since working with an older machine as this! Thanks for looking and giving your thoughts! Sharon :)