Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Diverticulitis...What Not To Eat? >

Diverticulitis...What Not To Eat?

Diverticulitis...What Not To Eat?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

Popcorn is our favorite snack but now thats out of the question right? :(
Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 PM

I have it. In all my life I never had any BM difficulties, until a couple years ago and a colonoscopy showed that it is a very bad case. I take a "gut relaxer" called Librax, and stool softeners every day and will take them forever (in the words of my GI dr.) I have found that stress has been a huge factor in this condition, for me. I'm not saying it would be for everybody. I have not had a problem with oily foods at all, although, we rarely eat fried foods because of my husband's condition... he has crohn's disease, which is basically the opposite of my problem, but stress is a major factor for him, also. We don't stress each other... it's just life around us. I do avoid seeds and nuts and I NEVER eat popcorn anymore. I do eat all veggies with the exception of corn, because of the little hard centers. I am at my best when life is good (aren't we all?!) and I drink LOTS of water, and other liquids, particularly tea. I do drink coffee occasionally, but it is dehydrating so it isn't an everyday thing for me.

Now, I'm sure that is more than anybody wants to know about me!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 PM

I had to cut that out as well...it's just not worth risking one of the kernals getting stuck in one of the little pockets and an abscess happening.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM

My sister has it also. She had a terrible time for about 2 years during her divorce. And recently when I asked her how she was doing with it, she said,I've been fine and hadn't even thought about it until you just now asked me. She takes no meds at all.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by marsye
I am a mean mommy, eat away!!! LOL
Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 PM

My hubs found out today he has diverticulitis. I know its very common but I don't know anyone that has it. What should he not eat?
I'm not a doctor, but have friends that deal with this condition. Little pockets form on the wall of the large intestine and certain foods can get caught in these pockets. From there, they can cause an ulceration.

My friends have to avoid anything with small seeds, like tomatoes, salsa, peppercinis, etc. Also, sometimes nuts can cause a problem.

I am sure there are other things, so I would consult his Dr. for more info.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 PM

The strange thing is that certain foods bother some people, and other folks are not bothered by the same foods. One of the things I find that I have to avoid is raw cabbage such as in cole slaw. Even with the best diet it is sometimes difficult to keep from getting an infection. It can be a very painful situation, can sometimes lead to a perforation as well. Sometimes it becomes necessary to surgically remove the bad section of bowel. Hubby had to have 18 inches removed about 3 yrs ago. Not fun at all, I promise you.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pam
I am a mean mommy, eat away!!! LOL
:evil:
Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 AM

I have (had) diverticulitis, not fun at all. I did the whole diet without seeds, nuts, corn, including popcorn, did well for about 5 years on that. Then I got one infection after another for about 4 months. I had the bowel resection, not a fun surgery at all. After talking to my GI and GP doctors, they are finding out that it is not so much what you eat as to the bacteria that is in your intestines. I am fine now after the surgery.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
Sorry to hear it. I hope he's feeling well. Here's a website with info on diverticulitis diet.
http://www.diverticulitisdiet.net/di...itis-diet.html
I have it, and the above website is correct according to my Doctor. Eat properly, and it will lessen the complications and side effects.

Sorry to hear he has it, but at least he can eat something besides dog food!