Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by TacoMama
I, too, made some things for my granddaughters that my dil never let them wear. It is very hurtful when you make something and it is not worn.
I know what you mean! You soon realize which family members appreciate hand made items and which don't. The secret is to concentrate on the ones who appreciate them and gave those items to them. Don't worry about the ones who turn their noses up! They're the losers in the long run! Just keep quilting!!!!

sara in nc
Old 05-20-2010, 07:14 AM

Lots of interesting comments - I agree with TexasGurl - gifts are gifts. If she is a 1st time mom, she doesn't know how many blankets she is going to need. I have always made my baby gifts and usually they have been greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 AM

My comment is not just about quilting but about handmade things in general.

One Christmas I made some stunning Glass ornaments that looked like marbels. I sold many of them at a bazzar for $5 to $10. ANYWAY - my sister had an ornament exchange party and my contribution was three of these ornaments. The first lady to get one was stunned and speechless - until my sister told her I made it. Her dissappointment was so obvious on her face! She quickly put it back in the box and kept trying to get the other participants to "steal" it from her. Needless to say - I was heartbroken.

Now, I only buy the cheapest ornaments I can find and never put any effort into them. I say the loss is to the stuck up ladies who only quit liking the ornament because it was handmade. My SIL cried (with joy) when I gave her a similar gift because it was hand made. The ornaments now hold place of pride on her tree every year. As do silly gift tag ornaments I made for her in High School MORAL: save your talents for those to whom they bring joy.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 AM

A good decorator will tell you "matchy matchy" is boring/boring! Add a homemade quilt for a smashing touch to a room and now you've got interest!!!! I should know, I'm a decorator and your SIL is missing out on a great opportunity.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 AM

just make quilts,then when someone sees it and loves it,say great it's yours
Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM

I would make my GRANDCHILD a quilt anyway. The Pottery Barn quilt will look just GREAT with "spit up" on it. lol ! Which quilt do you think your grandchild is gonna drag around? My bet is the one from GRAMMA cause it is filled with LOVE!!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by brwnntwn
My comment is not just about quilting but about handmade things in general.

One Christmas I made some stunning Glass ornaments that looked like marbels. I sold many of them at a bazzar for $5 to $10. ANYWAY - my sister had an ornament exchange party and my contribution was three of these ornaments. The first lady to get one was stunned and speechless - until my sister told her I made it. Her dissappointment was so obvious on her face! She quickly put it back in the box and kept trying to get the other participants to "steal" it from her. Needless to say - I was heartbroken.

Now, I only buy the cheapest ornaments I can find and never put any effort into them. I say the loss is to the stuck up ladies who only quit liking the ornament because it was handmade. My SIL cried (with joy) when I gave her a similar gift because it was hand made. The ornaments now hold place of pride on her tree every year. As do silly gift tag ornaments I made for her in High School MORAL: save your talents for those to whom they bring joy.
I am making my mom embroidered ornaments for her tree for her birthday in July. Won't do any good to give for Christmas. Made her one last year & she was so excited. So I'm going to surprise her.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM

[quote=Bev]
Originally Posted by TexasGurl
It is aggravating and hurtful when NON-quilters or sewers just don't GET IT ! Many people just don't appreciate something handmade or without a designer label
I have a hard time with these perfectly-coordinated, overly-picky brides & moms-to-be today ...

I have a niece-in-law who absolutely refused a baby quilt because she said she knew people made those quilts out of USED clothing and she didn't want her new baby to sleep on or with anything like that. She wanted her baby to have only brand new stuff. She actually TOLD me that. I was so shocked that I didn't know what to say. My DH just got me away from her real fast. 8-)
Wouldn't you just like to slap people like that. I used DSIL navy cotton work shirts for pieces to a quilt I was making. Those pieces will probably last longer than any other pieces. Wait till the 2nd kid & she will change her mind big time & get that snobby nose out of the air.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:48 AM

oh thank you. this is what l was thinking but all l read where reactionary comments and was beginning to think l was a misfit. every quilt l have made for my ggkids has been totally appreciated by parents and kids alike. l love reading all of the comments on the Quilting Board. :lol:
Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by marybs
Sad, but I think she just has a problem communicating! What she was really saying was...how nice! I want the baby's room to match, but pick what ever colors and pattern you like and that will be a quilt baby uses when not in her matchy room! I need to learn to turn peoples words around- I get hurt too often also! Go for a nice quilt full of love for the baby- not for the mom! Can't wait to see a photo of the quilt!!!!
sorry, l meant to add this to my note, nana Pat