Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil Thread >

Aurifil Thread

Aurifil Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Banned

I use Aurifil a lot and love it. But I also use John Flynn's "So Fine". I have some huge cones I got at quilt shows. It's very smooth, fine and burys nicely inseams. You can also get smaller spools for a nice display! :)[/quote]

So Fine is a Superior Threads thread; they're having a special on shipping for retail accounts right now. Try me Specials has regular sized spools at a good discount; I didn't see Flynn's So Fine though
http://www.superiorthreads,com
Old 05-21-2010, 10:35 AM

I'm sure they want you to buy the thread from them. I use aurifil a lot and it is awesome thread-very little lint shedding-never a slub or uneven spot-lots of length on the spool. However, there are many good quality threads on the market. Just make sure you clean and oil your machine often and you will be fine. (My Bernina shop pushes Aurifil as well.) Try one spool of aurifil when the store has a sale and you'll see why it has such a good reputation. Can find it much cheaper in common colors if you shop around the web.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never seen Aurifil thread in stores. Of course that doesn't mean it's not out there. This thread has caused me to want ot go LQS-ping to look at the threads available locally.

I'm still trying to use up all of the threads I had purchased to go to the sewing school in Huntsville. I had bought every thread recommended on the shopping list. I use mostly neutrals for piecing -- creams, beiges, and grays.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Found this on line
http://www.redrockthreads.com/aurifi...hread-40wt.asp
Don't know if the shipping will make the difference, but it's $2.00 a spool less.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
Michael: Do you know about another web site for men quilters. It is one of the Yahoo Groups under QuiltGuy.
Join us. Good conversation and exchange of info, ideas and fat quarters and even round robins.
Hey, what, are we not good enough anymore?? What does that group have that we don't? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 05-21-2010, 02:01 PM

When I orderd from Tristans, I ordered 2 of the 24 spool boxes. Total, with shipping to US, was $110. A lot of money to sink into thread, yes - but since I use Aurifil anyhow and pay $9.50 - $10.50/spool locally, $2.30/spool was too good a deal to pass up. While I will use much of it myself, some spools will also be given to friends and probably a couple will end up in my guild Christmas package. I can't buy C&C for $2.30/spool, so I'm very happy!
Old 05-21-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Michael: Do you know about another web site for men quilters. It is one of the Yahoo Groups under QuiltGuy.
Join us. Good conversation and exchange of info, ideas and fat quarters and even round robins.
Hey, what, are we not good enough anymore?? What does that group have that we don't? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hmmm, wonder if there are women's only groups?? jk, jk.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM
cc

Hi,
I hear Aurofil is a good thread, but yes, it is pricey. My Bernina dealer said I should use Mettler thread, which is less money but a smaller spool. I think it's just a matter of personal preference.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marjpf
Found this on line
http://www.redrockthreads.com/aurifi...hread-40wt.asp
Don't know if the shipping will make the difference, but it's $2.00 a spool less.
far more expensive than Tristan in Canada who are closing out Aurifil at $4.50
Old 05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IrishNY
GIVE THE GUY A BREAK.