Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Okay so what are you making with your vintage machine? >

Okay so what are you making with your vintage machine?

Okay so what are you making with your vintage machine?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:32 AM

I really love that picture of your vindtage machine. I recently purchased a 1923 redeye but it has to be cleaned and I haven't used it yet. It is a treadle I need to know is it hard to use since I have never used one before?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:51 AM

anglgrl,
they're not hard to use just different than what you're used to on an emachine. I had mine for a year and just kept putting off using it cause i was scared it would be hard. I finally decided to bring it into the sewing area and set it up and use it. It took a little while to get my rhythym (sp?) going but once I did it was easy.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Can you post a pic of the one with the glass presser foot? I've never seen one!
Here you go...it's funny (well...not "laughing funny" but you know what I mean!) I don't see the rust with "the naked eye", but I sure see it in these pictures! Will be in there getting oil on the needle plates as soon as I post this!!

Charlee, that is a BEAUTIFUL machine. I have never seen a glass foot. And the price ... nice...Can you find another foot that you could use and save the glass one?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 AM

The hardest thing to learn when you're a new treadler,
is to keep the machine going in the right direction.
Put fabric under the presser foot and run the machine unthreaded top and bottom until you learn. You turn the hand wheel forward or backward depending on which way your machine is supposed to go.
Put both feet on the treadle, one ahead of the other and wiggle them to get things going.
Also join www.treadleon.net and you'll get lots of help from the friendly folks in the group.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Bev

[quote=Charlee]I'm in the process of making a Jane Stickle quilt with my 9W, a table runner and placemats with my 201-2, I did a couple of Q4Ks on my Kenmore 185.840, and I have a lap quilt planned for William to be made on my W&W #8...*IF* I can bring myself to actually use that one! I'm so scared of messing something up on that one...the glass presser foot is something I've not seen for sale ANYWHERE, and Billy tells me that it's "museum quality", making me really nervous about scratching one of those decals! :lol:

I wonder what the purpose was in making the presser foot out of glass. Do you think it was simply to be able to see through so that you could see your stitches? Or would there be some other purpose for it? Seems to me it would be kind of risky.
Imagine breaking it once or twice. What a problem that would be.

8-)
Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Gosh,you guys, I think collecting vintage machines is a virus or something, and I caught it, lol! The varity of them is just so mind boggling! Charlee, that glass would scare me too, I dont even DRINK from glass, lol!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:27 AM

I could most likely pull the presser foot from my 9W and use it on the W&W 8...and will consider doing that before I actually use the glass foot! (Thanks for the idea! :) )

I do think that the idea behind the glass insert is for visability...it's the only thing I can imagine. The metal where the glass inserts into the foot is where the feed dogs are, so it's not as if the glass has any other purpose that I can see...I'll have to get ahold of Miller and see if he knows for sure!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 PM

What kind of needles does it take? Pat
Old 05-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
I could most likely pull the presser foot from my 9W and use it on the W&W 8...and will consider doing that before I actually use the glass foot! (Thanks for the idea! :) )

I do think that the idea behind the glass insert is for visability...it's the only thing I can imagine. The metal where the glass inserts into the foot is where the feed dogs are, so it's not as if the glass has any other purpose that I can see...I'll have to get ahold of Miller and see if he knows for sure!
From my understanding all W&W's in that era had glass feet, in fact a lot of other manufacturers had them also. Glass was used a lot for different things from Isolators on telephone poles to sewing machine feet and everything in between.

But I am like you I wonder what the reasoning behind it was.

Billy
Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 PM

I would love to be able to use my 1896 Singer 27 treadle but I'm too stupid to figure out how to wind that shuttle bobbin :roll: Anyone want to do a tutorial?? :lol: :lol: