Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Okay so what are you making with your vintage machine? >

Okay so what are you making with your vintage machine?

Okay so what are you making with your vintage machine?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
I could most likely pull the presser foot from my 9W and use it on the W&W 8...and will consider doing that before I actually use the glass foot! (Thanks for the idea! :) )

I do think that the idea behind the glass insert is for visability...it's the only thing I can imagine. The metal where the glass inserts into the foot is where the feed dogs are, so it's not as if the glass has any other purpose that I can see...I'll have to get ahold of Miller and see if he knows for sure!
OMG Charlee. I just looked and my old W&W and it has a glass foot too!! It was just so dirty that I didnt even notice. It is very yellow with oil, hopefully I can clean it up following Billy's tute.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:22 PM

I have some 1930's reproduction fabrics that I would like to make a quilt with on my model 66 treadle machine. I just need to find the correct bobbin and get them wound.
----------------------------------------
Have you ever used a little machine called the "Side Winder" to wind up
bobbin thread? I'm thinking of getting myself one, saw it at Michaels.
I HATE getting near the end of bobbin thread and have to undo my top thread,
or dig out the other machine and use it instead. I never seem to remember
to wind up enough bobbins before starting a project.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I'm currently using my tan Featherweight to piece some really simple string quilt blocks. If you'd like to see some
pictures of my machines, here's the link.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719iYtSvh
I have a 1934 Featherweight coming anyday.....Am so excited...Where did you find your pattern for the featherweight block???....The bag was darling.....MarjaMT.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
What kind of needles does it take? Pat
the W&W8? Takes a 126x1 or Boye 27... :) I got 6 tubes (18 needles) of the Boye needles right after I bought the machine...picked them up for $10...the seller didn't know what they had, I don't think!
I will look at the vintage needles I have, I am not sure what they are and will let you know if I have some.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:42 AM

Its a Christine Thresher pattern. I don't know if its still
available.
Sharon
Old 05-24-2010, 11:53 AM

I've never seen anything like that before. What a cool sewing machine and presser foot. What a treasure!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 PM
KK

What is a memorial quilt?? can you please show some pictures of one?? thank you KK
Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
KK

I learned to sew (in the early 1950's) on my Grandma's hand crank sewing machine she brought to the US from the Netherlands in 1911. It has a wood case and inlaid pearl on the sewing base. A TREASURE !!!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JCquilts
I could most likely pull the presser foot from my 9W and use it on the W&W 8...and will consider doing that before I actually use the glass foot! (Thanks for the idea! :) )

I do think that the idea behind the glass insert is for visability...it's the only thing I can imagine. The metal where the glass inserts into the foot is where the feed dogs are, so it's not as if the glass has any other purpose that I can see...I'll have to get ahold of Miller and see if he knows for sure!
OMG Charlee. I just looked and my old W&W and it has a glass foot too!! It was just so dirty that I didnt even notice. It is very yellow with oil, hopefully I can clean it up following Billy's tute.
Miller, on Needlebar should be able to date your machine for you...I know it's older than mine is! :) Mine dates to about 1880, so I'm betting yours is 1860-70!
You should be able to pull the glass insert out of the foot to clean it, and then just clean the metal as you would any dirty metal, polish it with a wax of some kind to seal it against rust. Clean the glass as your would any glass, and reinsert into the foot.
:)
Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by KK
I learned to sew (in the early 1950's) on my Grandma's hand crank sewing machine she brought to the US from the Netherlands in 1911. It has a wood case and inlaid pearl on the sewing base. A TREASURE !!!
Hi KK!! I'd love to see pictures of your Grandma's machine! Sounds beautiful!