Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Okay so what are you making with your vintage machine? >

Okay so what are you making with your vintage machine?

Okay so what are you making with your vintage machine?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:10 PM

I use my treadle for everything. Right now I am piecing a quilt with my 66-1 singer treadle. I do have to electric machines one is 63 years old the other is 42 but I do not use, just keep them clean. Glenn
Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM

I now have a singer featherweight but Have not used it yet it is being cleaned. Glenn
Old 05-24-2010, 04:59 PM

WOW!!! Charlee, Would I ever love a machine like that. The oldest I have , is a 1942 Featherweight, wich I love. It just hums so quietly. Much quieter than my newer Janome.
What is a Jane Stickle quilt? <<<Eva>>>
Old 05-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I am just breaking in my 1954 Singer treadle - I'm working on a vintage apron similar to the one I made on a treadle in 6th grade sewing class. Many many moons ago. I found a box of vintage-looking fabric in an antique store. I'm sure it is not authentic, but, looks like it should be sewn on a vintage machine. That's next.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I am just breaking in my 1954 Singer treadle - I'm working on a vintage apron similar to the one I made on a treadle in 6th grade sewing class. Many many moons ago. I found a box of vintage-looking fabric in an antique store. I'm sure it is not authentic, but, looks like it should be sewn on a vintage machine. That's next.
Sweet I can not wait to see the photos of the apron!!

Billy
Old 05-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
WOW!!! Charlee, Would I ever love a machine like that. The oldest I have , is a 1942 Featherweight, wich I love. It just hums so quietly. Much quieter than my newer Janome.
What is a Jane Stickle quilt? <<<Eva>>>
Hi Eva! :) I love that old machine....it's kind of the pride of my small "herd" of machines! ;)

A Jane Stickle quilt is also known as a "Dear Jane" quilt... Jane Stickle finished her quilt in 1863...and it's beautiful! Some of the ladies here are doing a weekly "quilting bee" making 4 or 5 blocks per week...there are 225 blocks in the quilt...all with itty bitty tiny frustrating as all get out pieces!! :lol:
Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM

Sunday was day to meet with my hand quilting group. But we often do other things. I was trying to finish a prayer wrap for our Pastor. So sewed the borders on with my FW. I forget how much I like it. But also noticed that need a new cord. So will have to address that before I sew with it again.

Our Pastor had a major eye injury while playing basketball. Two surguries so far but will not know if he will have sight in it for months.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:45 PM

That is so nice. How big do you make it. Hope that eye will be good again. I have been making a strippy quilt with my FW.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I would love to be able to use my 1896 Singer 27 treadle but I'm too stupid to figure out how to wind that shuttle bobbin :roll: Anyone want to do a tutorial?? :lol: :lol:
I have a Singer 27, also. If you haven't figured it out by then, I'd be happy to snap some photos and put together a tutorial for winding the bobbin, once I'm finished putting my machine back together (it's currently in pieces for cleaning). Probably early next week.

I only very recently got my Raymond Model C treadle up and running. So far I've used it to sew a cover for a friend's ebook Reader, and a mattress/bumper pad set for our dog's crate (LOL). The same friend is coming over tomorrow so I can hem some curtains for her, and I'm ridiculously excited to use my treadle some more lol. It just sews such a beautiful, perfect stitch. Much nicer than my electric machine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-76260.jpe
Views:	68
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	76265  
Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I would love to be able to use my 1896 Singer 27 treadle but I'm too stupid to figure out how to wind that shuttle bobbin :roll: Anyone want to do a tutorial?? :lol: :lol:
I have a Singer 27, also. If you haven't figured it out by then, I'd be happy to snap some photos and put together a tutorial for winding the bobbin, once I'm finished putting my machine back together (it's currently in pieces for cleaning). Probably early next week.

I only very recently got my Raymond Model C treadle up and running. So far I've used it to sew a cover for a friend's ebook Reader, and a mattress/bumper pad set for our dog's crate (LOL). The same friend is coming over tomorrow so I can hem some curtains for her, and I'm ridiculously excited to use my treadle some more lol. It just sews such a beautiful, perfect stitch. Much nicer than my electric machine.

Angie, that would be wonderful! Hopefully I'm not the only one with a Model 27 who doesn't have sense enough to do this :oops: :oops: I would really love to use this beauty.