Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-24-2010, 04:51 PM

I don't know a lot about Raymond sewing machines but I do know that the factory was in Guelph Ontario. Over the years (before I was really interested in a treddle machine) I saw a lot of them at farm auctions in Southern Ontario. I think at one time that they were more popular and more affordable(?) than a Singer in Canada. Unfortunately in the seventies a lot of them were trashed and the cabinets made into plant stands and end tables. I still see them listed occassionally at auctions and in the Super Shopper out of Barrie, Ontario.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Look at this one on my CL http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/1757660871.html

Pretty cool.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Its a shame that the machines were turned into plant stands but sometimes people just do not understand.....

Candace that is one heck of an industrial machine there. I have a shoe shop nearby that the owner still uses one just like that to repair the shoes and resole them. It is one heck of a work horse!!

Billy
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Gorgeous machine!!! Wow you did a wonderful job cleaning her up.
My New Home Model A has the leaf tension like that. Have you figured out how to release the tension so you can pull your work away from the machine?

The little lever has to be pushed up and then you pull some top thread up(about 4") then you can take your fabric away from the machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73002[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-72997.jpe
Views:	155
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	73002  
Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM

Purple, that is some cute machine!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Oh, that purple machine is AWESOME! I love the color, how unique!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Gorgeous machine!!! Wow you did a wonderful job cleaning her up.
My New Home Model A has the leaf tension like that. Have you figured out how to release the tension so you can pull your work away from the machine?
Ill be damned that looks really nice!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am so used to doing candies and pearls on these things but this is a nice break from everything!! I really like the art work on the machine and the lettering is spot on!! Did you do the art work yourself?

Billy
Old 05-25-2010, 03:25 AM

Billy, thanks! I love so much about my Model C, there's so much about her that is unique. The decals are just perfectly Canadian with the maple leaves, and the shamrocks are a great complement to my husband's Irish heritage (our last name is Lanigan). I didn't know that the bobbin winder was unique in its design, that's interesting. Even the Beaver and Eaton machines which mine has been compared to have completely different bobbin winders. If you ever come across another similar machine, I'd love to hear about it!

Shelbie, that's such a shame about those old machines being turned into plant stands. What a waste! I spoke to a woman on the TreadleOn list who lived in Ontario, in an apartment that she later learned was the old original Raymond factory building. Neat, eh? Unfortunately, there is so little information out there to be found about the company. I'm hoping someday I'll be able to pin down a more specific manufacture date for my machine, rather than an approximate 20 year time frame.

Purplefiend, I love your purple machine! Sooo pretty! If I had a machine whose finish was beyond saving, I would totally paint it a fun, funky colour like that. Thanks for the tip about releasing the tension... I've just been holding the thread close to the fabric and pulling my work away from the machine that way.

Does your machine take hollow bobbins? I see some little similarities in your machine to mine. Even though consensus is that my machine was manufactured and distributed by Raymond, there is some thought that the basic machine was purchased from an American company and then added on to and/or modified by Raymond. Free and White have been tossed around as possibilities.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 AM

Any input on this one?
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/clt/1757163095.html
HUgs
April
Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 AM

April....I don't know about "Unique" machines...I would guess that it's a badged name, but don't know who badged it. I do know that $200 is too much, at least for what I'd be willing to pay for it! ;)