Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The dreaded swimsuit shopping >

The dreaded swimsuit shopping

The dreaded swimsuit shopping

Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 AM

*sighs* I too must buy a new swimsuit... for some reason the fabric on my current swim suits are now see through! *wonder if my squeeze'n my size 16 bod in to a size 12 swimsuit had anything to do w/that* A dicent swim suit can run like $80!!! The ones at walmart don't like me whaaaaaa

PS I feel great about myself UNTIL I see a picture, catch a glimps of myself in a store window or have to buy new clothes.

PSS My avatar was like 20+"s ago....
Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 AM

Woman Within.com and Roamans.com Now ladies, I am really large, 22, and old,71, and I do have a swimsuit on everyday all summer long. Of course, my pool is in my backyard, and only family sees me. We do go to son's house for swim parties, and usually lots of young beauties there, but there is gramma, right in the middle of things. Once you walk out and remove the cover-up, you forget how you look, andf judst have fun. I've bought swimsuits online at Walmart also, and find they last me at least one full summer and maybe part of the next, and the price is less than $30. They are the spandex fabric, so no, they don"t hold you in much, but, a couple years ago my daughter brought me home a suit from Florida, made me think of the 50's style, strong latex. Girls, I put that sucker on and felt like I couldn"t breath! It fit just right, but that tight crap was and is no longer for me. One more thing and I'll stop. Walking down the beach in Fl. a few years back, coming toward me was an older couple, totally at ease with themselves. She was wearing a bikini, and was probably a size 5X( wasn't real sure if she had the bottom on or not, and hubby was a total beanpole, wearing a THONG!! I didn't laugh( well, not out loud anyway) but really, I just thought, "they are enjoying life and to hell with what anyone else thought. Kind of put things in perspective for me.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:16 AM

Oh my thanks for that story on the couple in Florida. WOW
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 AM

I have a good suit I've had a couple of years from Macys, don't remember the brand but it's a long torso cut that fits well, I'm 5'-10" ... I don't swim as much anymore, those llifeguard days in a little red Speedo are LONG past ... HAH !

No worries ladies, there are a LOT more flattering styles out now for all of us mature gals - the boy-short styles, little skirts, mix n match types for different sizes
Saw some nice brands at Marshalls & TJ Maxx ... think I'll go find one soon ... if you need one in July or Aug, they're all gone
Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Pam

Well started working on my tan today. The vet just left giving shots to livestock and fur babies. I wore a tank top, skirt and boots and no sunscreen! Scared to look in mirror, I tan quickly, but once I get a line it stays all year, I was not thinking about that PR trip and having to get into a suit that I am afraid will have to be nearly the size of a circus tent. NO, I will NOT be getting stripes!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM
BJN

Since I have fitting problems, I have found that it is much easier to make my own. You can google Stretch and Sew or Kwik -Sew ( they have quite a selection). You can also google swimwear fabric. They are not that difficult to make and you can alter the patterns to suit your needs.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

If you're shy about showing your figure (or lack thereof), maybe try a swimdress. They cover everything, thankfully... and there are quite a lot of them to choose from. They're not quite as frumpy as the skirted suits that my mom used to wear.

I did buy a suit this year (knew I had to, and HATE to shop for these)... I started my search online, going to the websites of stores in my area, so that I could get an idea of which store(s) might have something like what I wanted.

I would up going to Penneys. They had about four suits that I liked the look of, and my 13-year-old helped me make the final choice. (She actually has a figure. I lost mine some time back...)
Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 AM

I used to look for a suit with leggings. Ha Ha. The older i get i now need one that has long sleeves also. I really miss my firm arms and neck. Maybe i can find a suit that comes with a scarf also.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Well whenever we dread shopping for our swimsuits, just remember the horrible heavy "bathing" suits women had to wear 100 yrs ago or so
You had to wear a whole dress-type thing with sleeves & leggings ... they weighed a TON when they got wet ...
it's a wonder most women didn't drown (or die of heatstroke) !! :(
Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 AM

MadQuilter, I am a plus size also. I have been taking water exercise classes at the local YMCA for years. I loved the fit of Lands End Tugless Tanks but they did not hold up to the pool chemicals. I was in the pool 2 to 3 times a week. The instructor told the class about (www.h20wear.com). The suits cost more but they last forever! My first one I still wear is at least 5 years old. I bought a tankini last year since I am babysitting my granddaughter and have to be a quick change artist some time. The website says it takes logner for plus size suits but it's only a couple days. I got 'basic black' and it is always in style. You won't have to go thru the buying a suit torture for a long time!!