Quilt Challenge!

Old 05-09-2010, 03:02 PM

A leader/ender is something to start the chain piecing. Some keep small squares next to the sewing machine. When they are ready to start a chain of (whatever) for the current project, they piece a light and dark (same size) square together, and do the same for the end. That replaces the 'thread bunny' used at the beginning/end of a chain. When all the leader/enders are pairs, they piece two pairs together for leader/enders, etc. Eventually there are lots of 4 square groups that can be put together for a scrappy quilt. (This is just one example of the leader/ender idea.) On Quiltville.com there is more information.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Thank you!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 PM

Does anyone have a pattern for Birds in the Air....a great pattern for using up those scraps? I am open to block size...thanks in advance!
Andy
Old 05-10-2010, 04:08 AM

http://quilterscache.com/B/BirdsInTheAirBlock.html

has one version of Birds in the Air. It is not the one I think of, however. I will keep looking for another.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 PM

This is so funny....love your humor! Just want you to know that "we" are all talented ladies out here and we will "find" you :) And just think when we do, you better have enough beds, coffee & bars for us :)
Count me in on this, as I do have one going. I work on it, put aside, see another idea...on & on here. How we we stay in contact with your suggestion as we worked on these quilts. Do I "bookmark" ?

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I volunteer to be the judge!

Send all scrap quilts to me next Christmas and I will tell you who's is best.

Some exclusions may occur. Your mileage may vary. Do not do this at home. All quilting as shown is done by professionals, do not attempt to do this without advanced training. My favorite color is blue. Taxes are collected in the state of California. Quilts are not returnable. Winners will be notified when I stop running from a gang of angry quilters.

tim in san jose
Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 AM

i agree to use our scraps. i just made a batik quilt with all the fat quarters that i had gotten 7 yrs ago in the keepsake quilting club. my nephew is getting married so instead of buying new fabric i decided to go thru my stash and made the quilt for 13.00 dollars.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by peggypooh
i agree to use our scraps. i just made a batik quilt with all the fat quarters that i had gotten 7 yrs ago in the keepsake quilting club. my nephew is getting married so instead of buying new fabric i decided to go thru my stash and made the quilt for 13.00 dollars.
Great job! $13.00 for a project! Wonderful use of your stash.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM

I am a newbie and I have very few scraps. I have only made 6 sm. quilts. Maybe, I'll go buy some fabric on sale and get started on this scrap drawer. This site makes my mind go a mile a minute with a million gifferent ideas for quilts. So many quilts and so little time. I am thinking up a quilting name to go by on this sight. I'll let ya know!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM

I think I replied to this string earlier when I first found this site but I will give an update. I have completed 3 quilts strictly from scraps. A lap size crazy quilt with a bird & vine border, a large quilt for a friend that was on the cover of AP&Q, and a baby quilt. When one of my kids comes with their cameras or phones I will post pictures.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:06 AM

Oh dear! Is this really an issue?? I have the exact opposite problem! I can't throw even the smallest piece of fabric away and I have tons of scraps and strings and crumbs! I keep making quilts for shelters - human and pet - and I never get to making quilts from my new fabric!!

It is as though with each new scrappy quilt I make, I end up with even more scraps!! I just vowed to make my next quilt out of some of my new, untouched fabric because I am always buying new fabric and not using it! I just can't resist buying it but my scraps have a hold on me!! I love doing QAYG (quilt as you go) quilts with my scraps and string quilts too and patchwork quilts are great for using up your one and two inchers!

Yes, I am a fabric-holic I confess...

Done rambling for now! Sorry, your post just got me going!