Dilemma >

Dilemma

Dilemma

Old 05-26-2010, 03:14 PM

Hmmm- time to think up an appropropriate Fourth of July WOVEN
project! I do love holidays!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM

Re: sewing classes

Agreed! For me, it's also about not scheduling any classes for evenings or weekends so that those of us who work can participate.

I understand, as I posted above, why LQS prices are higher, but the *attitude keeps me from feeling guilty when I buy online or at Alco or Hobby Lobby, all of which have really nice fabrics if you're willing to hunt a bit or be okay with their not being the current designs.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 AM

:lol: does anyone lie in the new jersey area. there is a man that out there that lives in colonia and he has been trying to send me a puppy. i just wanted to find out if anyone might know anyone around that area
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 AM

:lol: just wanted to comment you on your quilt i love it is there a pattern for it can i get it
Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 AM

No one should feel the need to defend where they shop for fabrics or explain that they can only afford certain types of stores. We are all in quilting because we love the "whole" process. I have seen some really ugly fabric from top dollar stores. I have had LQS fabrics, after washing, only be fit for rags. I have found great bargains at some Walmarts (name brands at that) and some junk too. This type of thread always reminds me of the "Quilting Snobs" that I see at my LQS. They all belong to the same local guild and hang out at the shoppe. While some are really great people, others look down their noses at me when I check out the sale rack. Wish I could tell the shoppe owner how much this offends and at times I swear I will never go in again. When I used to make hand hooked rugs, ALL my fabrics came from thrift stores. Amazing how many people tossed wool garments as if they had no value. I saved a boat load of money and could get just about all the colors of the rainbow. What I couldn't find, I dyed. It met my need and I helped to recycle fabrics which would have other wise gone to the moths. I completely agree with those that buy via the internet rather then local stores. Consumers have always shopped around to find the best prices, why should fabric be any different. Our dollars don't go very far anymore and if I have my heart set on making a certain project, I will shop around so that I can make it. Period.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Google Goddess

i heard that there is a 100% mark up on fabric
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I would tell them where I found them and how much and see if they will match or come close to the lower price. :-D
very good suggestion
I did that with my Jem Gold - quoted a much better price elsewhere and my LQS met it.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Banned

Hancocks of Paducah (a different venue than Hancock Fabrics)
is very expensive but ALWAYS has a good sale selection at $3.98 and $5.98/yard.
Their prices are always listed at 1/2 yard. For sale items you must purchase at least 1 yard.
A Kaffee Fassett jelly roll is 60% off right now

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com
Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I love Alco fabric! But Alco is not going to sell fabric any more. Once what's in the stores now are gone, it's all gone.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:18 AM

I've never heard of Alco. They must be a chain that's not in N. CA.