Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Dying Out Craft? >

A Dying Out Craft?

A Dying Out Craft?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 AM

I only wish I had the time to hand quilt.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM

I will not give up on my hand quilting.When I make my quilts they all are hand quilted.My first quilted quilt was machened done.I won't do that again.It did'nt feel like a
quilt to me.I gave it away.I think it means so much more when I hand quilt them.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
well, that's rude to say that: "but hand quilted items seem to have more put into them from the heart".....
I agree with JJs. I just hate it when the quilt police are on duty. I too am disabled in a way that makes hand quilting impossible for me. Do I love the quilts I make for others any less? Do I love gifting others with my machine-made quilts any less? And when you get right down to it, do I love the people I gift any less because my quilts are machine made? Absolutely not. Further, I've never given a gift of a quilt and had anyone ask whether it was done by machine or by hand. They are just grateful for the effort that went into making a special gift just for them.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:25 AM

I hand quilt and I love it.
Just bought the Hintereurg quilt frame on Craigslist.
Am making 4 for the grandkids for Christmas.
Have 2 finished and 1 on the frame now.

I have no room for a long arm.

JBJ137 in SC
Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Well, that works for you and its wonderful that you can do your quilting in other ways. I like the machine quilting too, but its in a different catagory is all I am saying. I also have machine quilted some of my work. I just wasn't as satisfied as hand quilting. If that's your way of making some beautiful work, I think its wonderful. I would do the same if I couldn't hand quilt. :thumbup:
Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Absolutely. Its wonderful that you can make all the gift quilts and I am sure they are beautiful. Some people have no idea what people like you and me do in an effort to make beautiful things. If they don't sew, they don't know. So they can't be in error if they know no difference. My comments on hand quilting are in an artistic point of view and the traditional way that quilting started out in the first place. I have such a big stash that I am considering making a bunch of easy machine quilts as gifts to make my stash smaller. I see nothing wrong with it. I bet your quilts are very beautiful. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 PM

We live in a world of instant gratification, so machine piecing has become a part of that. However, when I began quilting over 20 years ago, I wanted everything to be done by hand. I did for awhile, but soon decided that time just wouldn't permit this, so I started to machine-piece my quilts, but I have remained dedicated to quilting, by hand, all of my quilts. I have nothing against machine quilting, but I do feel that hand quilting has a softer, non-commercial
look!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I admire anyone who can hand quilt. I just can't do it so it's machine quilting for me.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Andrea, your quilts are amazing!!!! I love hand quilting however arthritis is making it difficult now, which is not good as I came to quilting in my late fifties, so it makes me sad that all the bits had worn out before I found quilting. However, it also makes machiine quilting difficult too. I love the hand quilted quilts but sadly for me my life may have to be about the piecing and then sending the work out to be quilted. Sometimes we just do not have a choice, and if I did it would be to hand quilt happily all my life.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:31 PM

I love to hand quilt. I hate just sitting and watching tv or driving back and for from north to south. I always have something to hand quilt. I am far from perfect but I really feel that hand quilting shows a more personal emphasis on the quilt.