Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HUGE Ironing board >

HUGE Ironing board

HUGE Ironing board

Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I bought a lot of the duck canvas at Walmart a long time ago when it was cheap. Most all I've seen have a fabric design or solid color. It's very stiff but flexible. Cotton ticking would be good too, any tightly woven fabric would be good.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 AM

I have got cotton duck at both Joann's and Hancocks. Sometimes it is called cotton canvas or duck cloth.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM

I wish someone could tell me how to rotate my photos. I have not figured this out yet.[/quote]

lmao!!!! Hey, we can tilt our head. Great surface.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Try this for rotating. When you look at your photos in the folder on your computer, try to find 'thumbnails' in the view screen. Then put your mouse on the picture, RIGHT click. You should get a drop-down menu with rotate clockwise or rotate counterclockwise. Click on the appropriate one. Voila! Image rotated. Of course, all this depends on how you downloaded your photo, how you store the image, what operating system your computer is on, yada, yada, yada. Hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
Waiting for hubby to go away this week end. Going to build my own. I have the "parts" just have to assemble. Going to put it on 2 cabinets so I have more storage.
putting in on cabinets is a great idea....my dh travels for work at least once a week, and there is a salvage shop not far frm work....i think i have some shopping to do....my dd & ddil both quilt with me, and storage is becoming an issue...thanks so much for the idea!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM

I found great instructions on how to make a "Big Ironing Board" on www.quiltcampus.net
I think you then go into Library--Newsletter Articles. Then on you left will be the Big Ironing Board title that you can click on. This is a fabulous ironing board at a very reasonable price that you can make.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM

I use a regular ironing board, but ironing is now 100% easier and quicker with the Rowenta pressure iron and steamer I bought recently. When I used a regular iron, I really wished I had a much bigger board.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Here is your picture rotated.. Did it for you! :)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-74448.jpe
Views:	103
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	74453  
Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Missouri Star Quilt Co did a tutorial on making a 34" by 36" (approx) size ironing surface. The wood they suggested was 1/4" floor underlayment material because water does not effect it. It is also light and can be carried to a class or retreat. They took an old towel and doubled it to lay on the board and covered it (made it like a pillow case, can take it off and wash easily) in regular fabric. I am like BellaBoo, I like a firmer board. I have always been told that is best for applique, too. The floor underlayment material can be found at any lumber co., and you could make any size you want.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM

I love my new big board so much that I made a video about it! What a nice difference it makes when pressing yardage :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhFNl7TrFow