Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sleepin' under store-bought >

Sleepin' under store-bought

Sleepin' under store-bought

Old 05-27-2010, 02:15 PM

I've been busted! I sleep under 2 store bought quilts! I use both at the same time because they are thin. The older quilt was a Christmas gift from my father (he is deceased now) and given to me before I started making quilts. I don't feel guilty about using that one. The other was also a gift, given to us by my MIL, it is pretty and I like it --- so I use it. I am currently working on a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt for my bed, all pieced by hand and it will be hand quilted. The store bought quilts will be worn out by the time this new one is finished!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Right now on our bed are 2 antique quilts I bought on eBay. One is an Amish quilt, and one is a hand appliqued quilt. I used to not use them, but asked myself, Who Am I Saving These for??? Now we use them and enjoy them. My DH is still waiting for the quilt I started making for our bed, and I suppose I will get around to finishing it this summer or fall.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 PM

I have a hand-made quilt on each of my beds. My DM made them for me before I was bit by the quilting bug. No store bought blankets for me! I've got the fabric, pattern and and now I just need the time to make my own quilt for my bed. I'm like so many of you, I give all my projects away to someone else. One of these days.....
Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 PM

we sleep under a store bought one too. But that is because I am a newbie. Haven't found a pattern I like for our bed and would have to get DH to agree on the fabric colors. he is picky about that. took us 8 months to agree on a comforter for our bed and then took about 3 months to agree on a color for the bedroom and bathroom. I ended up having to compromise on the colors. one thing is that it is quiltesk.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
we sleep under a store bought one too. But that is because I am a newbie. Haven't found a pattern I like for our bed and would have to get DH to agree on the fabric colors. he is picky about that. took us 8 months to agree on a comforter for our bed and then took about 3 months to agree on a color for the bedroom and bathroom. I ended up having to compromise on the colors. one thing is that it is quiltesk.
Sounds like my dh. When we bought the house, the ONE thing I said to him was that I wanted to repaint the bedroom and replace the curtains because I hated the colors. Five years later, the bedroom has still not been painted and the curtains still hang. I figure when he deploys in a few months, he won't be around to complain about me changing it and will just have to deal with it when he gets back. :) he he
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM

yes I find a store brought quilt on my bed because every time I make something I end up giving it up to someone else. But I do have a couple of lap size quilts on the sofa so that dh and I have them when watching TV. Because I always seem to make them for a gift or for one of the kids., for a friend
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 PM

I made the first quilt for my bed and "lost" it in the divorce. Had started another one - it took me nearly 10 years to finish it - though I slept under it as a UFO for awhile. Shortly afterward I decided I had to make one that had been in my mind forever. And I love it.....
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by MegsAnn
Are there any other quilters out there who find themselves sewing every day.... but still sleep under store-bought blankets? My hubby finally yelled out to me today "MAKE SOMETHING USEFUL!" I told him I do, I just give those big ones away. Whoops! I guess I'd better finish one for our bed now, huh?
YES...ME...ME...ME...I always make quilts for someone else...for myself I only have a Barghello wallhanging for my bedroom...and four placemats...so far
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM

I need to make me one for a change.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 PM

I sleep with just plain blankets 'cause my dog sleeps at the foot of the bed and the blankets are easier to wash frequently. One of these days.....