Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Dying Out Craft? >

A Dying Out Craft?

A Dying Out Craft?

Old 05-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Most of my quilts are hand pieced and hand quilted. Which are not many due to time it takes. I do have a couple that are machine pieced but always prefer to hand quilt. Just like the more traditional, hands on feel to my work.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 AM

I hope not, but I am physically unable to hand quit any longer. For me, it was the most relaxing thing I have ever done.

Blessings,

Sharon
Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 AM

I am a "intermediate" quilter learning hand quilting. I made 2 baby quilts that I machine pieced and then machine quilted. When I got done quilting the 1st one, I thought "I didn't really enjoy that." When I finished quilting the 2nd one, I thought, "Nope, not for me." My 3rd baby quilt I machine pieced and then hand quilted. Even through the "learning opportunities" it was much more enjoyable. I am now hand quilting my son's full size quilt. Nothing fancy, just SITD on a woven basket pattern. But the important thing is....I AM ENJOYING MYSELF. And I think that is the important thing. Don't you?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Panda
I am a "intermediate" quilter learning hand quilting. I made 2 baby quilts that I machine pieced and then machine quilted. When I got done quilting the 1st one, I thought "I didn't really enjoy that." When I finished quilting the 2nd one, I thought, "Nope, not for me." My 3rd baby quilt I machine pieced and then hand quilted. Even through the "learning opportunities" it was much more enjoyable. I am now hand quilting my son's full size quilt. Nothing fancy, just SITD on a woven basket pattern. But the important thing is....I AM ENJOYING MYSELF. And I think that is the important thing. Don't you?
Good for you, from one hand quilter to another. I am so happy so many new quilters are taking up hand quilting.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 AM

No I doubt that. And there is room for both.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Our ancestors pieced and quilted by hand because they had no other choice. as soon as sewing machines became available, anybody who could afford one got one. as the prices dropped, the number of quilters using machines went up.

as much as i admire hand quilting (which is a LOT) i don't feel at all guilty, nontraditional, or out of step with my ancestors when i piece and quilt by machine. i am still helping to keep alive an historic art form/process.
I totally agree with you and besides I know I would not have the patience to hand piece and quilt :)
Old 05-28-2010, 12:59 PM

Hand quilting is indeed beautiful! Machine quilting is not easy but takes skill and practice to master. I like both and appreciate the effort it takes to become accomplished in either.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Well, yes, but where there is a will there is a way! :thumbup:
Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Banned

I Don't know how to hand quilt, but it is beautiful, and when I was able to work, I saw many women in the lobby waiting for there children to be done with there a appointment, they would hand quilt the whole time, I always found it neat to see what they were working on. God bless. Penny
Old 05-29-2010, 06:52 PM

I sure hope it doesn't. I only hand quilt and applique because it is not only relaxing, but when I finish a quilt, I think "WOW, I did that". Tis a great feeling.