Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dilemma >

Dilemma

Dilemma

Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm totally with you Renee 765.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:16 PM

I know, sigh....I've been looking at rummage sales, but its so hard to find fabric at rummage sales![/quote]
----------------------------------------
No Honey, it isn't all the time. Just look carefully at sheets, you'd be surprised
at how lovely some of them are. I have one I'm looking at to see if it will tell
me what it wants to be, it is a lovely flower pattern I've never seen before.
Quite lovely and soft, obviously washed a lot but still will last for many years.
I think it is telling me it wants to be the lining in a light denim jacket to match
my long denim skirt. With a wonky ankle that should be supported, I wear
boots a lot, and long skirts that more than cover the tops of them.

Also, try FreeCycle. If you word the request nicely, you might be lucky
enough to get someone's stash who is moving or just has far too much
"stuff" to keep around.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
And remember that this lovely art started with scraps and rags, when looms were prohibited in the colonies and all cloth came from the Crown!
Well, I never knew that. Do you think they came Down Under first? After all, the place was settled by deported English convicts. LOL.

As for the Bali pops: OMG, what a shock. I have yards of it - saris, great big circle skirts, great big round tablecloths with matching serviettes I will never use, all bought from locals during mine and my mother's trips to Bali years and years ago. Funny thng: some sixth sense has always told me "Keep it", keep it".

It just shows: what comes around goes around. I have this stash of BPs upstairs, just laying there, while still paying $24 a yard for CW and Moda.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM

I have learned to purchase online instead of quilt shops. I purchased a bendable LED Daylingt for my machine at a local QS for $50!! and found it online (at many sites) for $28!!! Even with shipping it is cheaper! I find this with purse patterns as well. the latest one is the steel ball purse handle, online $18 at the QS $24! Quite a markup! I am all for shopping locally and supporting the Mom and Pop businesses, but I have to do what I can to stay afloat too!
Originally Posted by Linda B
This is why it is sometimes difficult to support local quilt shops. I called one nearby today about Bali Pops. They want $39 per set + 9.25% sales tax. On line I found them for as low as $23 + shipping and several places were just under $30. When you want 6 sets, the difference REALLY adds up.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaMas
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
WalMart does not sell batiks at all, but tie dye fabric to look like batiks. The best quality fabric Walmart sells is the Quilt of the Month fabric. I have one yard of David Textile's print sold there, folded and machined quilted that I have put in every load of clothes I have washed for over a month. Some bleach loads. I'm doing my own experiement. So far the fabric may be a little faded next to the new but not weaken at all. No shredding at the seams. I'm perfectly pleased with it for all make and use quilts. For my heirloom pass down and never use keep hands off quilt I will buy the $12 a yard fabric.
According to the definition of Batik...
WalMart does sell Batiks.
Due to modern advances in the textile industry, the term has been extended to include fabrics that incorporate traditional batik patterns even if they are not produced using the wax-resist dyeing techniques.

regardless of what they are called... they are pretty :D
and for those of us that cant spend $12 a yard, they work quite well :D
My oldest daughter still has the quilt i made her before she was born, with WalMart fabric... and it has been overly well loved and washed hundreds of time.
I understand that many dont like it, but for some WalMart is the difference between being able to do what you love and laying in bed staring at the ceiling tiles :D
AMEN
Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 PM

This is totally off topic but your kitten is ADORABLE! I love black and white cats! That's all, have a great day! :-D :-D :-D
Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 PM

Not for me--I found a whole fabric store closeing--I bought two van loads for $67.00--my husband is still in shock on how I can find fabric at sales.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:08 AM

WalMart does not sell batiks at all, but tie dye fabric to look like batiks. The best quality fabric Walmart sells is the Quilt of the Month fabric. I have one yard of David Textile's print sold there, folded and machined quilted that I have put in every load of clothes I have washed for over a month. Some bleach loads. I'm doing my own experiement. So far the fabric may be a little faded next to the new but not weaken at all. No shredding at the seams. I'm perfectly pleased with it for all make and use quilts. For my heirloom pass down and never use keep hands off quilt I will buy the $12 a yard fabric.
Due to modern advances in the textile industry, the term has been extended to include fabrics that incorporate traditional batik patterns even if they are not produced using the wax-resist dyeing techniques.

My oldest daughter still has the quilt i made her before she was born, with WalMart fabric... and it has been overly well loved and washed hundreds of time.
I understand that many dont like it, but for some WalMart is the difference between being able to do what you love and laying in bed staring at the ceiling tiles :D
TanyaMas,
I totally agree with you. I have never had any problems with Walmart fabric. However we no longer have fabric at our walmart. Some people believe that if they are not spending a large amount of money then they are not getting quality. Just like those who insist on buying name brand at the grocery store.
They would not dare buy the store brand. They come from the same place they just place the stores name on the packaging. I do agree that some store brands are not good.
As for the fabric you can judge mostly by the feel. I agree the private shops charge way too much for their fabric.
There is nothing wrong with looking for a bargin and buying on sale. Just because you pay top dollar does not always mean you have gotten quality.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:45 AM

I shop at walmart and I know the fabric isn't the best but it works for me and its affordable. Thank goodness for Walmart.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by chamby

TanyaMas,
I totally agree with you. I have never had any problems with Walmart fabric. However we no longer have fabric at our walmart. Some people believe that if they are not spending a large amount of money then they are not getting quality. Just like those who insist on buying name brand at the grocery store.
They would not dare buy the store brand. They come from the same place they just place the stores name on the packaging. I do agree that some store brands are not good.
As for the fabric you can judge mostly by the feel. I agree the private shops charge way too much for their fabric.
There is nothing wrong with looking for a bargin and buying on sale. Just because you pay top dollar does not always mean you have gotten quality.
Bingo