Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What did you do with your wedding dress? >

What did you do with your wedding dress?

What did you do with your wedding dress?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 AM

was married in 1955,after some years of marriage had 2 daughters,one was tall and chunky and my last was average height and thin. I figured neither could wear my dress for their weddings so when my youngest made her First Communion I cut the sleeves short and dress length to her length. Now she has the dress. The material is still in good shape.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by geckogirl
I was married back in August and my dress is currently hanging in the closet. If I can talk my hubby into dressing up one more time we are going to do a photoshoot in them called "Trash the Dress." It is suppose to symbolize that you will never need it again. People have gone mud riding, paintballing, or different things like that. Being a photographer, I have not had the opportunity to do a photoshoot of this yet but I would LOVE to!!!

Since we were married on a pier on the beach in South Alabama I am really hoping to talk him into doing pictures in the water or something of that nature . . . I dunno . . . .

I'm totally doing this after my wedding, except I'm going to get a cheap simple gown to trash (I may even make it) I don't think I can bare to trash my own dress, lol.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
I'm not married yet, but my mother kept her dress for me to wear. Unfortunately, it doesn't even come close to fitting me, and it's really outdated (they married in 1977) but we're going to cut it up and make a christening outfit for my son next fall.
I feel really bad that she kept her dress for me and I don't even want to wear it...
Don't feel bad about not getting to wear your Mom's dress even though she saved it. I have been a bridal seamstress for 30+ years and 99 out of 100 girls do not want or wind up wearing their Mom's dress even if it fits.... it is out dated and the bride wants to wear HER dress not someone else. Don't feel bad at all.
Rose
Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 AM

i made my dress, then i cut it up into the christening gowns for my kids..they each have one. and my grandkids have been christened in them...

i figured i'd never wear it again anyway... like i could ever get my now larger self in it!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
Originally Posted by Grinster
Which one???
You stole my line!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The first one was a beautiful store-bought dress & overdress that my 16 year old tried on a couple months ago and it fit her perfectly (and brought a tear to my eye) :cry:

The second one, I and my 2 bridesmaids made from 3 different patterns (one for the sleeves, one for the bodice and one for the skirt), pearls and 9 yards of imported French lace (I spent 4 months hand-sewing lace and pearls onto that dress every night after work) - that one is in a nice box in the basement, but I lost the hat in a move.

The third marriage, we eloped to Maryland, and I wore a white maternity shirt (can you guess WHY? :lol: ) and black stretch pants - I looked like a waitress with some silk flower in her hair. Of course that was the marriage that "took" - we've been married for 17 years now, together for 18.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1
I just looked at mine again last week. It is made from embroidered fine netting and it lives in the bottom of one of my stash boxes. I always wanted to do something with it but don't know what to do. I also have the long lace coat my Mom wore to my wedding, she passed away 8 months later at age 56(my age now). I would love to make a treasure from that too. So there they both have been for 28 years.
Do a light and dark half square triangle quilt?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Gosh - so long ago. I rolled it up and put it in a chest of my mothers. It is still there (45 yrs). For me also, that was 100# ago. I made the gown-don't know anyone it would fit. Teeny waistline, and who has that now? Not interested in emb. satin quilt, so will just let it sit. Still have the same fella tho, and that's what counts!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 AM

[quote=craftybear]What did you do with your wedding dress?

In 1965 my Mother and I drove by and deposited the box containing it in a Goodwill donation bin and drove away giggling. I hoped the next user had better luck with it. My second was a beautiful off-white suit I wore until the seams threatened to give way. Guess I gave that to Goodwill, too, but I kept that husband. Still have him.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 AM

1st- gave it to my bff- she had a collection of them. It was a gorgeous dress that was on the cover of Bride magazine in 1977.

2nd- it's upstairs in the closet. Pretty lace dress- not a gown, but a cocktail or dressy dress.

This has gotten me thinking..... my son is getting married in 3 weeks. I'm making her money bag and babushka. Think I could use it? Her gown is white, my dress is ivory. Maybe I can ask- all she can say is no.

I made my veil- Just a simple hair clip with a fine veil and some flowers. I have my bouquet too- gosh you're bringing back memories...

still have my beau- he and I are weigh a bit more but we are still a cute couple.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 PM

Mine is in my hope chest. My daughter didn't want to wear it for her wedding so there it stays. I also made mine too.