Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do when lack Sewing Mood? >

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

Old 05-29-2010, 03:45 PM

I switch to a different craft for a while. That's how I got back into quilting. I got tired of papercrafts.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Marla, I wish you a speedy recovery, and Thea, I am sending your son positive thoughts. He will love whatever you make,as he will feel your love for him every time he looks at it. Take care of yourselves - and remember, there is a community here who cares.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:58 PM

I pull out my back issues of quilt magazines, and if that doesn't work, I go straighten out my fabric closet, put fabric in color order, and refold some of the messy ones. Once I go in that room the cat joins me and makes herself comfy on the cutting table, so if I leave she gets really pissed. Loud and crabby is not what you want to hear so it's best to spend some time in there sewing. The humm of my featherweight is her favorite sound.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:02 PM

When looking for fabric for your sons quilt find something cheery, kid like. Maybe something from a cartoon, or a toy he liked as a kid. I did this for my friend when she was going thru chemo. I made her a quilt that had Dick and jane on it since it was her favorite book series as a kid.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:37 PM

I do BOM so I don't get to the point of not sewing. It keeps me going and sewing. Make a committment to do any small project. Good luck
Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Play my guitar or banjo, maybe throw in the harmonica! :thumbup:
Old 05-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
What do you do when you can't seem to get back into the mood of quilting? I know for some that maybe a blasphemy, but let us just pretend seriously for a second. I don't mean burned out of doing quilting. Maybe unmotivated might be a better description. Quilting used to be an escape. I used to sew at least 3-8 hours everyday faithfully. Now I have a new sewing machine but even that is not working to boost my enthusiasim because I have to take classes to learn to really use it.

What do you do when you suddenly drop the desire to quilt and know you really need to get back into it?

I was burned out from too many choices, and too much indecision. Soooo
I started doing Quilts for Kids. All of the fabric is matched for you and cut for the pattern they send, borders and backing included as well. All you do is assemble, add batting and quilt. This really helped me fall in love with quilting again!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:43 PM

I go through that about once a year and it is usually due to the seasonal change. I usually get with my quilting friends and let them talk me back into it. We are very supportive of that slump time and each of us has gone through it. I am so thankful for my quilting friends both on this site and in my neighborhood and guild.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:43 PM

I have spurts and stalls all the time. I used to feel guilty if I didn't sit at the machine but not any more. It's my hobby, not my job and when I feel like it do and when I don't I do something else. Isn't that the whole point of a hobby, to enjoy it when the mood strikes? I, too have had health issues lately and many days it is all I can do to get through the work day, come home and sit in my chair for a while and then go to bed. I think about quilting ALL the time but spend very little time actually doing it. Do you think the quilt police will get me someday? :)
Old 05-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Sometimes I switch mediums, ie, crochet for a bit instead of sewing or quilting.Or pull out an almost finished ufo or make something to stash away as a Christmas gift. Clean my sewing room or maybe take a couple of days out and read a good book.