Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Wow!!! that is so great, what a wonderful history you have.Do you have your own business today? I don't feel that advanced in my sewing, but I made my four daughter clothing while they were in school. I loved being able to give each of their garments that special Mother's touch of love.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:23 PM

I think it is so great, when we can give to others. My husband and I machine knitted a basement full of sweaters and little chidrens clothing, which we donated. It was so much fun to be able to do this.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:45 PM

I was about 4. I sewed a pair of pink overalls for my doll (why pink for a boy doll I don't know but then, why did I use yellow thread?). The stitches are HUGE and the hems are just sad. My mom still has it and won't let me throw it out.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:48 PM

I wasn't in Junior High yet (7th thru 9th grades). My grandmother signed me up at the Singer Sewing Center in the town nearest us. I made an outfit that was a little top & a knife pleated skirt in a lovely pastel lilac. I wish my mother wouled have kept it. It was my grand-mother(mother's side) that got me into sewing. I stopped making clothes when I began a tean-ager because I never mastered the actual tailored look. I started into quilting about 4 or 5 years ago when my husband had a critical hospitalization & we just happened to go past a local quilt shop that also sold sewing machines. I have the new one (still learning to use it) & several of the old 221 Singers. I've made a few quilts & now trying to get back to garments since I can't seem to get what I want in the stores.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:18 PM

I learned to sew when I was about 11. I got my first sewing machine (a feather weight) for Christmas that year. I wanted a Barbie Doll case NOT a sewing machine. I still have that machine and still use it. I took home ec shop class (a 2 period class for non-college bound) Made the apron with pockets and I wanted to add trim- teacher was surprised when I was able to do it without her help. I bought my Viking when I got married and have worn it out. I have my BS in Apparel Design but I only sew for my family. I started quilting when my dd was born but have yet to finish that quilt (postage stamp hexagon applique)...can you say crazy!!!! I have made men's shirts, pants and wedding gowns.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:38 PM

In home Ec in Junior High and hated it. Never sewed for years, always used safety pins, not even buttons. Then my daughter got engaged and I decided to make her a quilt. Made a queen size log cabin as an "heirloom". Have been hooked ever since
Old 05-29-2010, 04:38 PM

I was 12 years old and self taught. The first thing was a skirt, made out of double knit and wild blue flowers. Ugly material, but I thought at the time very pretty.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:50 PM

My first article of clothing was a skirt (I was about 14 or so), although I no idea of the concept of a 5/8" seam allowance, it did fit and I wore it but I never told anyone I made it. After that I paid closer attention to the pattern directions and the SA markings. As it turned out I made all my clothes for a number of years and plan to do so again.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
I was about 4. I sewed a pair of pink overalls for my doll (why pink for a boy doll I don't know but then, why did I use yellow thread?). The stitches are HUGE and the hems are just sad. My mom still has it and won't let me throw it out.
If I was your mom I wouldn't let you throw it out either! We moms treasure such things. ;)
Old 05-29-2010, 05:02 PM

My first project was a draw-string apron in 4-H when I was 10. It was made from a pink print fabric we bought at J.C. Penney's at 4 yards for a $1! I kept it for a long time until I realized that the strings would no longer go around me so I gave it away. Fun memories!