Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 AM

My Mom was a nurse and worked during the day in surgery. She also sewed all my clothes. One day when I was 8 and she was at work I hand sewed a skirt for my little sister. It was brown fabric and my seams were on the outside. She wouldn't let my sister wear it and that disappointed me but she did decide to teach me how to sew on her machine. When I was 10 I had a pair of shorts that had a broken zipper. I took it out and remembered how it should go back in. I took the old zipper downtown (we lived in a small town) to the dime store and bought another zipper the same size and put it in. When my mother came home from work she was amazed and said fly front zippers are the hardest to replace and she couldn't believe I figured it out. Then she gave me 2 pairs of my Dad's dress pants to replace the zippers and my Mom and Dad said they were perfect. Praise and encouragement like that really inspired me to sew all my own clothes all through college and after. No one in my family made quilts and I'm new to it and loving it.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:42 AM

My mom sewed our clothes and of course we learned to sew. My very first was a dress. Mostly clothes until in my teens then started on quilts. That was,,,oh anout 52 years ago. Now I am still sewing, mostly quilts. Thank you mom for teaching me to sew. Of course she taught me to knit, crochet, cross stitch, paint, etc. I wish for all those who work, you find the time to teach your children so we can continue to pass on this great talent. Happy quilting
Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 AM

My Grandmother threaded a large needle and handed that along with squares of fabric and buttons to me when I was 3 years old. She showed me how to sew on the buttons and sew 2 sqares together.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Banned

OMG I was young. I was 8 years old and wanted to sew something for my new baby cousins. There were 2 of them born a few months apart. My mom didn't sew (or cook for that matter God only knows what the woman did all day)Anyway back then you could buy pre cut ready to sew baby night gowns to embroider. My mom did know VERY little about hand sewing and embroidering so she showed me how to do it. I was so proud when I gave then to my aunts for my cousins. After that I started to embroider the pre printed pillow cases. My mother did know how to crochet, also something she DIDN"T do but she was able to teach me so until I was in JH I would crochet too. I learned how to sew on a machine in home ec age 12. I love to still do all work by hand from pieceing to quilting, and I also still love to embroider and crochet.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 AM

You would think one of my daughter would be interested in sewing, since I sew for so many years. None of them show any interest in it at all...
Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pommielover46514
You would think one of my daughter would be interested in sewing, since I sew for so many years. None of them show any interest in it at all...
My grown and married daughters are the same way.
I have a little hope for my one granddaughter. She's 10 1/2 and likes to watch me make things when I visit and I let her help.
Although we live in different cities so it's not really enough to get her hooked. :cry:
Old 05-30-2010, 10:27 AM

My mom taught us girls to sew. I was 12 and my first project was a skirt. It had yards and yards of fabric, and I had to measure and mark each thing I did. In the 50's FULL skirts were what we wore and so that is what I made. I was never so glad to get a project done!!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pommielover46514
I feel your pain. Neither of my girls is interested either. I'm holding out hope for the grandchildren.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:02 PM

I was in 4-H and did an apron and then did the chicken xxx's on the yellow/white checks. I guess I was 12. We had sewing machines lined up along a window in school for Home Ec and we sewed many things there.

My grandmother had an old Singer machine with a peddle and I sewed on it also. I now have this Singer machine in my home given to me by my Mamaw before she passed away! Lots of memories of her sewing on it and by hand!

Kids today don't know what they are missing!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:05 PM

I know exactly what you mean. i still enjoy the simple things in life. I can remember when I was seven years old I would go to the neighbors and make flowers out of a wood fiber. I don't think you can even buy it today. It was the feel of a real flower and very easy to work with. She paid me 2 cents a rose bud or rose blossom. Can you imagine kids doing this in this day? funny to think about....