I got a virus

Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM

I got that virus that comes up and says you are getting a virus and have to run the anti virus program to stop it. I didn't recognize the anti virus program and wouldn't click on it. It kept coming up so I shut the computer down. The virus got in but I shut down my computer before it could do the worst. My sisters husband is a computer tech and works on just such things as viruses. He took it and fixed it in a few hours. He laughted too when I got upset about it. Those guys just love their work. He said if you get a message like that again or think something is going on turn the computer off before the whole virus can be down loaded. That keeps the amount of damage down.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:46 PM

A great program that my friend sent me is this thing called Malware Bytes. They have a free version of it on their site... I downloaded it and it works great... I use it along side the $50 one I bought that DID NOT catch the horrible virus my computer had... but Malware byte caught it and destroyed it!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy
Originally Posted by Lisanne
No, but I keep my anti-virus up to date and run regular scans.

I can't fathom how your tech could figure that the virus came from this board. Maybe it came from an email or a download file or some other website.
I have a few different anti-virus and I run them and malware weekly.. this nasty little bugger blocked me from malware or anything else. my roommate managed to circumvent it..ran a scan and found the buggers.. 7 or them. admittedly some could have been from opening links but the worst on hit me when I was in here and the chat. I have no idea how he traced it.. but he came up with the site name telling me that looked like where it came from without any prompting from me. I'll be the first to readily admit that I am EXTREMELY challenged when it comes to techie stuff. That's why I have someone I can call at a moments notice if I have a problem. He said he had no idea why someone would target this type of site. but advised me to contact Admin which I have, just to give them a heads up.
I guess attacks can get past anti-virus software and firewalls at times. I still have trouble believing a hacker targeted this site. Maybe he targeted your computer and found you while you were here? I dunno. Maybe he did target this website.

Sounds like you did all the right things. Sorry it happened to you.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:55 PM

No not here.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tippy
No, but I keep my anti-virus up to date and run regular scans.

I can't fathom how your tech could figure that the virus came from this board. Maybe it came from an email or a download file or some other website.
I have a few different anti-virus and I run them and malware weekly.. this nasty little bugger blocked me from malware or anything else. my roommate managed to circumvent it..ran a scan and found the buggers.. 7 or them. admittedly some could have been from opening links but the worst on hit me when I was in here and the chat. I have no idea how he traced it.. but he came up with the site name telling me that looked like where it came from without any prompting from me. I'll be the first to readily admit that I am EXTREMELY challenged when it comes to techie stuff. That's why I have someone I can call at a moments notice if I have a problem. He said he had no idea why someone would target this type of site. but advised me to contact Admin which I have, just to give them a heads up.
I guess attacks can get past anti-virus software and firewalls at times. I still have trouble believing a hacker targeted this site. Maybe he targeted your computer and found you while you were here? I dunno. Maybe he did target this website.

Sounds like you did all the right things. Sorry it happened to you.
I don't have trouble believing it.
Less than a week ago, I was pm'd by someone that called themselves: quilterd.
At first glance i pronounced it: quil-t*rd...you get the picture. I thought, "who would nickname themselves that?"
Opened it and without a hi, hello, or i am new etc. began talking about having the same birthday and went into all the hobbies they are into.
They said their birth year was 1928. That would make them 80 years old.
If you had seen the list of hobbies along with gardening and canning...have you ever gardened or canned?
I have. can't anymore, and I am in my fifties...disabled, but the point is...I was having trouble believing this person could do all that, so I clicked on their profile...no info whatsoever and had just joined!
I did not reply that night and they never showed again.
I believe that everything that glitters is not a golden (aged) quilter!thumbup:
Old 03-27-2010, 06:13 PM

Trolls need not apply on here... Thats horrible... I really don't like when people do that.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 PM

I picked up the virus on my desktop... Hot Mess. Trying to fix it now.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 AM

I've had something trying to attack my computer this past week everytime I was on the board. Norton's kept popping up saying, "We just blocked, etc." It seems to have stopped doing this yesterday though.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Not here!
Old 05-31-2010, 04:01 AM

No, no problems here.