Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 AM

My only training on the sewing machine was in Home Ec and it was many years later that I started doing serious attempts at sewing.I was 19 when I made my first daughters dress and I had no lesson other then Home Ec. I would sew and rip out until I got it right. I remember my little girl twiling in circles to make that full skirted dress swirl out.Just knowing how much she loved her dress was enough encouragement to get me started sewing. I remember making each of my children their own matching bedspreads and drapes.My girls would be tucked safely in bed and I would be making them a new outfit to wear the following day. I still will sew for other today, but I do it because I want to help not for money.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by 978gray
As a food technologist - I am the one who thinks up new foods for people to eat and cook in their homes - ...
You would hate me then. I've got Celiac Disease, am allergic to corn, allergic to the entire benzene strain (if it has benz in it and it isn't a car, I'm allergic to it), not supposed to have dairy or sugar (you notice I said not 'supposed' too), nothing processed...trying to keep meals from becoming boring and under budget is a nightmare.

How does one become a food technologist? I've never heard of it before.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
As a food technologist - I am the one who thinks up new foods for people to eat and cook in their homes - ...
You would hate me then. I've got Celiac Disease, am allergic to corn, allergic to the entire benzene strain (if it has benz in it and it isn't a car, I'm allergic to it), not supposed to have dairy or sugar (you notice I said not 'supposed' too), nothing processed...trying to keep meals from becoming boring and under budget is a nightmare.

Tiffany--
Meals must be a nightmare for you. What can you eat?
And I'd like to know about being a "food technologist" too. I wonder if it used to be called Dietician maybe? So many professions change their names after a while.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 AM

Tiffany, go to www.greattastenopain.com and try the free meal plan. It is food combining but she says it helps a lot of things. worth a try. I feel better.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:14 AM

I concur with you. I believe we are doing a disservice to our younger people by not exposing them to these courses. I own my own home and I do the little things that I can but everything else I have to hire done. I learned to sew and cook in Home Ec. class. My nieces and great nieces come to me for alterations, sew a loose hem, etc. because they didn't take the time to learn those skills. I suggested to my great niece that she take a Home Ec. class and her mother (my niece) said she didn't need to learn those skills because my great niece was going to be able to hire everything done after she graduates from High school and college. We all know how life doesn't always go as we plan.
As a food technologist - I am the one who thinks up new foods for people to eat and cook in their homes - and a parent of two boys - I firmly agree that sewing and cooking is a life skill. Both boys and girls shoudl take these classes and the girls should also take basic wood craft and homr repair.

Male and females loose buttons on their shirts and sooner or later both gender also have to use a hammer, nails and screw driver.

The school districts, state governemnts and federal goverment need to understand that basic life skill include more than reading, writing, math, it also includes safely feeding oneself, how to clean one clthes and keep in good repair.

Hopefully things will turn around and schools will start teaching these subjects again.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 AM

I also have CD. I'm also allergic to all kinds of things. I need to cook all of my own food...it is very difficult to eat out, sometimes even eat period...and I'm a FACS (Family & Consumer Science) teacher...haha.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:27 AM

I tried to make a dress for my doll when I was very small. I always spent time with my grandma, and she kept me nearby to thread the needle on the sewing machine for her. (Now that I'm over 50 I understand why!!) In the 7th grade my best friend and I spent the summer making ourselves dresses. We wore a new dress every Sunday, and my grandma always checked to see if I'd finished my seams and hemmed it neatly. I would promise her that I was going to....later. Her advice stuck...now I have very high standards for myself when I sew clothing or quilts. I'm still sewing on the 1950 Morse sewing machine that grandma bought to replace her treadle.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM

I was about 5 when I started to sew. I hemmed dish towels on the treadle machine and when I progressed and didn't have any fabric I sewed doll clothes from paper. When Mom was gone to town I sewed my heart out. I do have some pictures of the doll clothes and I started 4H as an associate member when I was 6 or 7, had to be 8 to be a member. I sewed evening wear for years and worked in a sewing factroy in KY but now I usually just make quilts except at Christmas when all the grandkids get new jammies no matter how old they are.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 AM

I just wanted to tell a cute little story. When two of grandkids came to live with me ages 4 and 3, they always wanted to help me sew so one ran the foot pedal and one took the nails out as we sewed with them both on my lap.We sewed clothes and quilts that summer.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 AM

Boy do i ever agree with you. Kids sof today need all these life skills more than any generation before. Once it was a way of life now most kids can't even cook a simple meal, let alone clean, shop and heaven forbid sew.