Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Precut Do You Buy When You Have No Pattern Idea? >

What Precut Do You Buy When You Have No Pattern Idea?

What Precut Do You Buy When You Have No Pattern Idea?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:20 AM

This is a really easy quilt and only takes two fabrics. Each block is made from four units. Each unit is made from one 3-1/2" square with a 2" square sewn diagonally on one corner. I think this lap size quilt used about 2 yards of each fabric, plus more for the border (2/3 to 3/4 more). A third fabric was used for the first border. I think this is a really cool beginner quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-76241.jpe
Views:	68
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	76246  
Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 AM

I buy fat quarters, but otherwise, only yardage. I don't get the point of the layer cakes, jelly rolls, etc., but that's just me.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 AM

It's great to hear all your input! I began by buying 1/2 yrd at least of a few fabrics, but I don't have a LQS and my Joann, Hancock and Walmart just really don't have attractive coordinating prints, and most of the farics weren't my taste at all. I had the WORST time trying to match colors and prints of the few things that were there. I went home so disappointed from 9+ hours of shopping all together. My health is not good enough to mess with that! Plus, I like scrappy quilts, but co-ordinated....and when you don't have a huge stash..well, I guess that's why I like the precuts for now :) LOL!

I wish I had a LQS nearby, I would buy more yardage than precuts, I'm sure.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 AM

Ok I do buy the precuts from Moda only. I have had no shrinkage problems with not washing first. I also have books for 5" Sqs, jelly rolls, turnovers, layer cakes. They go together fast for charity quilts and you don't have to gather all the colors by yourself. So it comes in handy at times. I also buy 1/2 yd etc when fabric is on sale. Moda has very little if any shrinkage. IMHO
Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ginakra
New quilter here and my "stash" is pitiful! I'm looking at fabrics for a jelly roll quilt (my first quilt) and see such pretty fabrics. Sigh. But I have no pattern for them yet. Do I buy a jelly roll? A layer cake? A charm or honey bun? So many choices!

I think a layer cake is more suitable for putting in a stash for a later project, but what do you all think? When you have no idea what you'll do with it, what do you buy?
I ususally buy 2 yards of a fabric if I'm not sure what I'm going to make out of it.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
Don't buy precuts. Just buy yardage and/or fat quarters.

#1 - precuts are more expensive because somebody put more labor into cutting and packaging them. (Cutting is one of my favorite activities, but I know I don't speak for many)

#2 - what if you wanted to do something with 5" squares and a 2 1/2" strip from the same fabric? You can't do that with a jelly roll.

Maybe find one or two fabrics that coordinate with something you already have.
I totally agree with this. I'd suggest looking for a pattern first before putting $ out for precut fabrics. I prefer cutting my own fabrics anyway.

Don't put the cart before the horse. LOL
Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Delilah
This is a really easy quilt and only takes two fabrics. Each block is made from four units. Each unit is made from one 3-1/2" square with a 2" square sewn diagonally on one corner. I think this lap size quilt used about 2 yards of each fabric, plus more for the border (2/3 to 3/4 more). A third fabric was used for the first border. I think this is a really cool beginner quilt.
Delilah, I love this quilt. Can you give complete directions for it by writing ea. step?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 PM

I buy yardage but I also will buy a layer cake so I can get all of the fabric line. Many Quilt Shops don't have the whole line. If I really like a fabric I will buy what the Quilt Shop has then go on line and get other yardage for the line I bought.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 AM

I have never bought precut fabric before. I make scrappy lap quilts and bright colored crib quilts. So I usually buy 1/2 yard cuts. If its a fabric I really like I will buy 1 yard. When I buy bright solids I buy 1 yard of different colors so I have a selection of solids for my crib quilts. When my LQS has tone on tone on sale I buy 1 yard cuts of 6 different fabrics. These work well in my scrappy lap quilts. And I also use the tone on tone for my machine embroidery blocks, so I make sure it is a good quality fabric.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 AM

I like jelly rolls and am about to start a quilt with a set that I bought for about 15.00. I don't pay over 15.00 for jelly rolls. They are all batiks, color coordinated and (I think) very pretty.

I have arthritis in my hands and handling the rotary cutter and keeping the ruler firmly placed are a real problem for me. The jelly rolls are perfect, but can be very expensive. Hence, my dollar limit on the jelly rolls.

The quilt I'm starting this week uses the Roman Square. Not really a block but a great way to use scraps or jelly rolls.