Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Lint in My Machine  OH MY!! >

The Lint in My Machine OH MY!!

The Lint in My Machine OH MY!!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:06 PM

I make it a point to clean out the lint every time I change my bobbin. I never paid much attention to it before but now that I have my Bernina I want to keep her in top notch condition. Only take a few minutes to clear out all the yuk, I use a small make-up brush (never used for makeup), its just right for getting in those tight spots under the foot plate.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 PM

Don't use canned air on your machine, it only drives it in further. Use a chenille pipe cleaner on it. They are really cheap and the lint is picked up really good with them.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:09 PM

I also was told that blowing the lint , only packs it in. I wasn't told about the condensation. My nephew works with small motors, & said "you just pack it in". So I never use caned air. I also have the small vaccume attachments.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:22 AM

When I bought my Bernina the dealer said to use Q-tips to clean my machine. And don't forget to oil your machine after cleaning. Cheaper thread will provide more lint than a better quality thread will.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 AM

thanks for the idea...I use the canned air, but won't be doing that anymore
Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 AM

Okay, everyone I know knows not to use the canned air because it supposedly pushes the lint further into the machine, but has this actually happened to any of you or to someone you actually know, not a friend of a friend but someone you can lay your hands on. I've heard this for years now and I'm starting to wonder if it is simply an Urban Legend in the quilt world because I haven't been able to track anyone down to had a problem with their machine due to canned air. :?

I was also taught never to blow into the bobbin area because the condensation from my breath can rust the metal parts due to the moisture. (I'm blowing, NOT spitting!) But technically wouldn't that do the same thing as the canned air, push the lint in even further into the machine?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 AM

There is a generic vacuum hose sold that will adapt to various vacs. One of the adapters should fit your hose; its sold for use on computers but also can be used for other machines. I think I got mine at Office Max or Staples. I believe sewing m/c sellers may also carry them, either in their shop or catalogs online.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Originally Posted by damaquilts
I bought the small vac attachment and used it for other things besides the sewing machine. My computer of course and cleaning out my window air conditioner. Its even cheaper now than when I bought it.
http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cr...cuum&x=22&y=12
Nice. I haven't seen anything like this and that was the image I had in my mind to accomplish. You have saved me having to rig up something. Thank-you.
I bought the vacuum attachment set years ago from Nancy's Notions but it was higher. They work great. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-01-2010, 10:30 AM

No I don't know anyone who has had this happen to them directly. But my dealer told me never to use canned air, that it could cause the lint to become packed in, so I have never done it.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Banned

I have not done mine yet :? almost afraid to. God bless. Penny