Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as a Gift >

Quilt as a Gift

Quilt as a Gift

Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Well my grand Daughter knew I was making her a quilt for her B-day, she even picked the colors! Her B-day was on Christmas too! Well with all the holday stuff going on I didn't get it done in time so she got a iou and in a few weeks after I had it ready for her! Her comment was " Its about time you got this done" No I love it or thanks! I think she was 8 at the time!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Gee, I thought I was the only one who's work is not appreciated. Now I only make wall hangings, quilts for ME. I think what upsets me the most is, none of my family sews, don't even own sewing machines. I told my son when I'm gone, (I'm 84), to put my sewing machines, and fabrics on Ebay.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 PM

i made a quilt for my first dgd, and then made a quilt for my second gd..

my dear dear dil, (first dgd) put it up so it would stay nice, i told her give the kid the quilt..if she wrecks it buy dragging it everywhere, i'll make her another one

the not so dear dil (2nd gd) got the quilt & used it under the new tv so it wouldn't scratch the new entertainment center.

when dear dear dil was pregnant the second time & we knew it would be a gs, i took her to the lqs & let her pick put the main fabric and the secondary fabric. i bought enough to make the dust ruffle for the crib as well as the crib bumpers to match... she was haunting the mailbox waiting for the box

when not so dear dil was pregnant and we had another gs, i sent a toys r us gift certificate.

somethings are just not worth tying yourself up into knots about!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 PM

I think the real issue here is the fact that when you receive a gift of any kind, it's just appropriate and good manners to say thank you. I always told my boys to say it like they meant it (even if they didn't) and one of these days it would come naturally and they would mean it.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:28 PM

When you give a kid a quilt you have to know if the love it they will drag it around and that is good by my eyes!
I make the little kids 2 sided flannel blankies and they love those and simple enough to make several! I use 1 1/2 yds of too and do a sew and turn and top stitch!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Yes, that happened to me too. I was hurt because as you know even the smaller quilt involves a lot of work.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 PM

If I just get a simple "thank you" upon giving a quilt then I'll be fine and leave it at that. Don't need a lengthy letter saying how incredibly grateful the person who recieved it was nor do I feel like I "deserve" one even though I put a lot of heart and soul into the quilt. I don't quilt for the reconition. I quilt because I enjoy it. If I did it for the glory then it wouldn't be fun.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 PM

A lot of interesting comments on this topic. I promised myself (after breast cancer/chemotherapy) I'd make a quilt for each of our 14 grandchildren. Instead of picking the pattern and fabrics myself, I get them involved with the process. So far, this approach seems to be working. I've made 6 and they seem to really like them...from what I can tell!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM

I made a twin quilt for my niece a year ago. The deal was we would meet for lunch and give it to her...a year ago. That did not work out and other times have not to work out so I am keeping this quilt until they come and pick it up!!
Now our son who is 42 was in tears with happiness for the quilt I sent him...
My attitude is I do what works for me...learn my lessons and move on.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:33 PM
sss

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
I wonder if some people don't realize it's hand made and not store bought. I would think they would be more appreciative if there was some way to convey that when the quilt is given.
I would think they should know it is handmade, especially if you have a label on it. A friend of mine puts labels on that say
Handmade by Sue