Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as a Gift >

Quilt as a Gift

Quilt as a Gift

Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM

I spent a lot of time on a baby quilt for a co-worker. When she opened it she ohhed and ahhed over it for about 30 seconds then said, it will be put to good use on the floor for the dog and baby. Talk about feeling hurt, if I wanted it for the dog, I would have given her an old rug.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:49 PM
sss

Oh my gosh. That is awful. I don't know whether I would have cried or hit her!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:49 PM

I have the opposite problem. I'm terrified to give a gift that the user would feel obligated to use/display if it's not to their liking. After all the work, I want it to be PRE-wanted.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:11 PM

I never give quilts as gifts anymore because of that. I only make and give to those who I personally know will appreciate them. Myxxx of a son in law put it over the dog cage and my sister in law gave it away. However my brother in law's wife asked me to teach her to quilt (she is chinese) and now she has a business on e-bay and is supporting him. Cant figure out who the fool was here but she is happy . she is the only sister in law that I talk quilting with the others well lets not get into that. I feel your pain about the quilts.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM

here to cheer you on my friend
Old 06-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Two things stand out from this thread to me

1. the comment that the giver assumes the recipient is so overwhelmed with joy that they are speechless and that explains why they don't say thank you. What a perfect way to re-frame the event so you aren't disappointed!

2. the person who posted that she just does Quilts for Kids now. The kids that get them don't thank us for making them and we just assume they love them. Maybe they don't but we don't know. Maybe we need to work on assuming the quilts gifted to those we know are loved even if we don't hear thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 PM

my Son used his to sit a case of oil on in his trunk. ouch ouch ouch. so he gets shirts for Christmas :_ :) :)
Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 PM

I agree with hazeljane. Once the quilt leaves my house its gone in every respect. Have no expectations from recipients. Even if my quilts are walked on, etc., they are being used and this makes me happy. I hope it doesn't sound like bragging, but everyone to whom I have given a quilt seemed genuinely happy to receive it.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:47 PM

This generation of teenagers (and some grownups) need to realize a thank you note is a valuable tool.[/quote]
===============================
Isn't THAT the truth! I discovered a way, one of the ways, to request a
thank you gift. (other than simply never giving another)
I took 2 crude, hand written letters from a pair of little girls (who didn't know
each other) thanking me for gifts of an old purse with a lot of old, glittery fake
jewelry I had given them. One of these letters is about 5 years old!

Showing them these letters in place of an eagerly awaited gift, then leaving,
kinda made a big difference. Months later, right after Christmas, I did get real
nice letters from that person!!! And for a small gift, not the real big expected
one either!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Don't feel bad. I handquilted my sister a queen size cheaters cloth quilt. It took 9 of us (experienced hand quilters, aunts and friends) quilting 3 days to get it done as an anniversary gift. She divorced, lived with another guy for 4 years and LEFT IT WITH HIM! because he didn't have any bedding. I will NEVER make her another thing! And I told her so but it didn't faze her. She values nothing! Can you tell I am angry!