Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overcoming Fear >

Overcoming Fear

Overcoming Fear

Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM

Take a deep breath and exhale, start with your project, and before you know it you will relax. Then next time you go in there to sew you won't be as scared, then next time it'll be less. Then before you know it you will be enjoying it. So come on take a deep breath and start.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM

The yellow brick road pattern is a good quilt to start with --and there are so many others that dont require matching seams---when I teach a class I tell the gals --dont fret over seams----50 yards on a galloping horse----who can see your mistakes---
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Become one with the seam ripper! AKA "Redesign tool" Remember that finished is better than perfect (As someone said in another thread). I look at a beautiful piece of fabric and I don't feel worthy sometimes. The best thing I ever did to increase my confidence was to join a block of the month event at my LQS. I am using Thangles to keep my seams straight and follow the easy to use patterns. I am loving it. Jump in and when it stops being fun take a break and work on something else for awhile.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Up4BigChal
I just want to show you what you can do if you just get in there and make that first cut. The 2 quilts are going out to be quilted, but I just started quilting in Oct of 2009. I am soooo hooked that it consumes me. I was scared to death on the Tennessee Waltz but Eleanor Burns makes it as simple as possible. :lol:
I find it fascinating that I was just learning to quilt also and the first full size quilt I did was a Tennessee waltz :D The most important thing I learned when learning to hand quilt was to get my stitches even rather that tiny. Tiny, comes later with practice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-77695.jpe
Views:	61
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	77700  
Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by janet bales
Thanks for all that all of you have taught me as a quilt newcomer. One thing I guess I am ashamed to admit but I need help with is overcoming fear. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but my husband offers to hold my hand as I start quilting. I do not know if I am afraid of failing, but I have difficultly getting in my room to start really quilting process. I have read books, have great stuff to quilt with, and read your helping topics but overcoming getting started is huge. HELP!
I was the same way. Before quilting I could not sew, mend, or hand stitch a straight line. I did not think I could quilt but I had always wanted to and admired them. What will help because it helped me was to have a quilting friend help you. We picked Eleanor Burns' Quilt in a Day Log Cabin. It is a very good beginner's quilt. Because this will be a beginner's quilt don't worry yourself about buying the really good fabrics. I used my friend's stash and what little stash I had accummulated over the years. You sew strips. There are no triangles or anything on point either. I was hooked after my first quilt. You will have a friend there to make the "first cut" and then you will do the rest. You will have a friend there to tell you not to worry because they made the same mistakes and show you how to fix it. You will also have a friend that will most likely have many of the quilting equipment for you to try first before you buy. :thumbup:

My first quilt was king size. I made many mistakes like using the selvage because I was in cheap mode at that time. My batting was not big enough so I cut my last border so I can have a more square quilt. Another big mistake.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77705[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-77700.jpe
Views:	11
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	77705  
Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Get your how to book out and follow it from page one. If there are projects in it, go to the first one and do one block. It sounds like you have information overload and unsure how to start. Learn how to cut your fabric accurately, then put the pieces together like doing a puzzle.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM

one thing about this board is a lot of help with the kidness to go with it and no one is better, just so helpful all the time no matter how many years they have always willing to share there experence I truely have enjoyed this place like a new home here so were here to help and hold your hand
Old 06-02-2010, 03:35 PM
JJs
Banned

So, was this person so fearful that she hasn't been back to even acknowledge all the helpful hints?
Maybe the next time we hear from her she will show us her first project...
Old 06-02-2010, 04:06 PM

start small. use scraps. maybe you are afraid of ruining expensive fabric. you have no stash, we'll each sent you a strip of fabric. use a 10" foundation block and just sew strips diagonally. gets you used to 1/4" seam and sewing. after you have 12 blocks, square them up & make a kids top.
don't even worry about layering & quilting right now. just piece another simple block. you will be on your way. patience & practice. have fun !!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 PM

im my own worst critic,and no mater what i make i find something wrong with it . So i get real discouraged with it and start something else.I need to get over trying to be a perfectionist. But I look at all your beautiful work and think .OMG mine will never look as good as these do.