Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 AM

Isn't it amazing how are sewing reaches to sew many different types of items and as the years passed we want to go to something that is much simpler. At least this is how I feel. like you mom-6 I have done many different types of sewing in my life .Simle sewing,gowns from orom style to wedding, suits for little men,coats with linning and knitting,crocheting, and how kinds of craft items. I haven't done any uplolstry,cross stitch or macrame, but I still always have more I want to do, then time to do them in.The frosting on the cake is I raise Pomeranian and they bring loads of joy.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 PM

As I get older, I find I want to go back & recall better more peaceful times. I started back into sewing with quilting. I'm now going back to trying to make blouses since I can't find anything I like in stores. I'm also trying to use some of my husbands' great grandmother's clothing to make small pieced quilts to remember her.

It's so interesting to hear how each of us have come to this point at this time.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by lynsue
As I get older, I find I want to go back & recall better more peaceful times. I started back into sewing with quilting. I'm now going back to trying to make blouses since I can't find anything I like in stores. I'm also trying to use some of my husbands' great grandmother's clothing to make small pieced quilts to remember her.

It's so interesting to hear how each of us have come to this point at this time.
Part of it is that we have more time on our hands. I always sewed a lot, so much so that I wore out 3 motors and 2 foot pedals on my first sewing machine. When the babies napped, I sewed. The repair man asked me if I was sewing every day and he recommended we put a heavy duty motor on so I wouldn't keep wearing it out. The next time it happened, I bought a good Viking and it was still going strong after 16 years when I passed it on to my daughter and bought a Pfaff as I needed a lighter weight machine. When the kids were active in school, it was harder to get time to sew but I still did as much as time and energy allowed and yes, I too knitted, crocheted, did embroidery and other crafts plus read and worked full time.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 AM

I think it is great that we all still make time to do the thing we love doing...
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 AM

Well, I am new to the board and was just reading some different topics and stumbled across this one. Absolutely amazing! I bought my first sewing machine just last year when I found that my idea of taking up "hand quilting" wasn't going to work for me due to my arthritis and MS. Ironically enough, my MS is why I finally have the time for this new hobby. So, I started quilting - which is my first "sewing" ever - at 54 years old. I was loving it until I came to the quilting part of my 8th quilt which is a king size quilt. Stupid, stupid, stupid - to ever try a king size quilt this soon. I was fine until I started quilting it! It is almost enough for me to sell my two new machines and all the 'quilting tools' I have acquired and go back to loom knitting full time! Anway, just thought I would ad this post to all those before it who started sewing and/or quilting a half century younger than I did!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Gal

I must have been very small when I first used a needle and thread because my Mum ( she has always been a sewer)'loves to tell the story of how I could not say 'material' and used to pronounce it 'twear-ee-mull'!! I can remember sewing dolls blankets etc, about the age of 5 or so, but that was later, that makes my sewing efforts span more than half a century, cripes!!!!!!!!!You would think that I would be good at it by now, I am still learning Lol!!!!!!

Gal
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM

Funny you should mention the "being good at it". I often remark to my husband that this is a hobby I should have started in my youth, so I would have had time to become accomplished. We are newlyweds of two years next month and he loves - and wants to keep :( - everything I make - quilting or loom knitting. He never wants to give anything away. He is always snuggled under one of my afghans or quilts with the dog watching tv while I quilt!

I may not be around long enough to get good at it but I enjoy it immensely!

Rosemary
Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 AM

I believe the most important thing in anything we do is to enjoy it.I'll never learn everything I would like to know either, but I will enjoy every new thing that I learn.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by winterswisper
Funny you should mention the "being good at it". I often remark to my husband that this is a hobby I should have started in my youth, so I would have had time to become accomplished. We are newlyweds of two years next month and he loves - and wants to keep :( - everything I make - quilting or loom knitting. He never wants to give anything away. He is always snuggled under one of my afghans or quilts with the dog watching tv while I quilt!

I may not be around long enough to get good at it but I enjoy it immensely!

Rosemary
Welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of quilting! If I had just one piece of advice I could give after quilting for 18 years, it would be to take as many classes and hang out with as many quilting friends as possible. It's amazing how much you learn in a class, and it isn't what is being taught but the tips and tricks that get passed around that end up invaluable! And with each class our skills improve (or we hope so anyway). I didn't take my first class until I had been quilting for 12 years and now I take classes even when I know I don't need them because of the friendships that are made and the different tips/tricks I pick up. And congratulations on your wedding! 8-)
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the congrats. Unfortunately, I am home-bound now because my MS has advanced to the point that I don't get around too well and have lots of falls. I am utilizing the internet to take classes and meet fellow quilters and you are right. It is so much more enjoyable than doing it alone.