Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0  Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137 >

Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0 Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137

Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0 Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137

Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
Question, are these paper pieced blocks? I love them and I am just totally curious about how you did these blocks.

Thanks
Freezer paper. The curve method is the same for these oval ones and for the two curves in the New York Beauties I've made a few of also. The way I make them, I think curves are easy. Just slow, lol.

I drew the oval on a square 12'' block, then made freezer paper templates: one for the oval and one for each half of the background. No seam allowances added, the freezer paper ends on the sewing line. (So the freezer paper oval fits with the freezer paper backgrounds to make a 12'' block.)

Fitting the templates together I draw a few marking lines across the curves; so half of each marking line is on the oval paper and half on the background paper - make sense?

I iron the frezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric; mark the fabric all the way along the paper curve with a fadeaway marker. For each marking line, I draw a line on the seam allowance of the fabric (so it looks again like a short line crossing the curve line, half on the fabric and half on the paper).

I cut the shapes out, adding seam allowances all around. (About half an inch because I like to be safe.) I pull the freezer paper off and put it away for reuse, in case I want to make more blocks later.

Then I pin one curve, right sides of fabric together. I pin first the corners, then each place where a line crosses; then I fill in bit by bit between the marks, checking the lines on both sides as I go. I may be strange but I pin ALONG the sewing line, not across; just catching a very few threads of fabric in each case. I end up with a lot of pins overlapping each other on top, and little bits of pin showing along the seamline on the bottom.

I sew very slowly and gently along my marked line, pulling pins just before they would get under the presser foot, gently easing the fabric flat maybe half an inch ahead of the presser foot (keep feeling for creases in the bottom fabric and ease them out before I sew over them).

It seems to give me good curves, or at least good enough for my eyes... :oops:

If at the end I turn it over and find I've sewn in a crease anyway (not often but sometimes, usually when I get blasé and think I know it all now, lol) - no big deal. I unpick the creased bit, repin and resew that bit of seam on the line, usually putting the other fabric on top this time. Easy. :D

This was longer than I intended... I hope I'm explaining this in a way that makes sense!!! It's straightforward really, it would be easier to show than to write.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 AM

I received a beautiful block from JaneCat today! Tomorrow I will go over my list and repost what is missing.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM

April Love that pic! izzy looks so cute!

Salmonsweet thank you for posting that pic!

Here is a list of the blocks I have received to date...I forgot to post some and can't remember whose I posted:
Salmonsweet
Craftsby robin
Mishjim
KathyN
Goldendog
Oatw13
Purplemem
hoppyfrog
buddysmom
craftymainemom
mistiliz
SewCornie
ReRe
Jetnica

Also owe you all an apology for not getting to the post office yet! I have my Granddaughter this week and well it has been quite an adjustment having her here!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks salmonsweet... I may try this someday :D
Old 06-03-2010, 04:06 PM

I gots a squishy ...I gots a squishy ... from mistiliz ... it's called Lynette's Diamond ...

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...03mistiliz.jpg[/IMG]

I'm in AWE of curves and how you all make them look so easy ... but I know they can't be :D

Thank you ... I love it :)
Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM

I don't know what's going on for me. This is the 2nd group I've been dropped from the computer this week. All of the sudden, I realize I haven't heard from this group for a while. SalmonSweet, my fabric will be sent out to you again tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 PM

I got a nice block from JaneCat today. Thank you so much! I can hardly wait to see what I can make with all of my blocks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-78763.jpe
Views:	47
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	78768  
Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by goldendog55
I don't know what's going on for me. This is the 2nd group I've been dropped from the computer this week. All of the sudden, I realize I haven't heard from this group for a while. SalmonSweet, my fabric will be sent out to you again tomorrow.
Same thing happened to me a month or so ago. I wasn't getting this swap or the red/white/blue swap. After I manually checked both it started working again, go figure?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 PM

I got a FABULOUS block from janecat

Thank you soooooooo much! I love it!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 AM

I got a Great Star block from mishnjim yesterday. I LOVE the Yellow fabric you picked for it!!

Lisa and I have been busy... we are "Cooking for a Month"!! It is LOTS of work, but SOOOO worth it in the end!! This is what quilters have to do in order to remember to feed their families!! We both tend to get caught up in our sewing rooms and forget about dinner!! Today is DAY 2.... kitchen here I come!!