Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading A Serger >

Threading A Serger

Threading A Serger

Old 06-04-2010, 03:50 PM

I understand about the threading of a serger!!! I have had mine for 14 years and still can't do it. I go to my LQS whenever it runs out of thread, they shake their head and thread it for me. If I had gobs of money I would have several sergers with different colored threads.

Originally Posted by Stormie
:cry: I have a Serger I brought 4 years ago. I used it once, until I un-threaded it.....does anyone have any idea of how to Thread a Serger, especially the upper and lower loopers> :oops: Instructions are not very clear...
Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM

The secret is not to unthread the Serger. Do you hear me laughing? The trick is to cut the thread near the cones and tie on the new colors, ( I double knot) run the Serger pulling slightly on the end of the thread until your new thread is in the needles. This will be running the thread all the way through to the needles and now you are ready to serge. Every once in a while my thread will come untied but I just thread the needle and continue with my project. Hope this helps. It is simple once you have learned the trick.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:34 PM

My first rule is, if you are having to completely rethread it, is never rethread it at night! I do so much better during the daylight hours. Easier to see the dots.
Mine is color coded and that is a big help.
I try to get by with cutting the old color and tying on the new color. I cut one color at a time. Be sure to double knot it and then pull it tight. The knot can't be very big because you want it to sew through the needle.
Then I start sewing on a scrap. When I start seeing all the new colors on my scrap, I know that it is now rethreaded. Hope this makes sense.
If all else fails, I read the manual. Oh, when rethreading from scratch, loosen the tensions to zero, then when you are done, turn it all the way to nine and then back to your original number. I make a note of where each tension should be set. I wrote it in my manual.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 PM

I have a serger singer about that age, I could copy the directions on how to thread it if that would be helpful.What make is it? My serger has the direction inside the drop down. you just follow the color line for each needle. really pretty easy once you do it a few times. I love my serger, so I bought another once recently, and it is not nearly as easy to thread as my old singer

Oh, and a pair of serger tweezers is a must to thread it with!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM

I'm glad that I'm not alone here.
I bought a serger 10 years ago and took it out of the box read the instructions and put it back in the box.
I finally ask my husband if he could try to thread it. 1 hour later he had it threaded. Now I never change the thread and when it runs out I tie the new to the old and run it through.
But there must be a easier was to thread them.
Mine has red thread where the red instructions go Blue where the blue go and so forth. I rainbow serge but I use it on the cut ends of fabric before I wash it.
Good luck we are all in the same "boat" when it comes to threading the "buggers" kjym Kathy
Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM

go on line to the company that sells that brand. Or you should have a diagram just inside your door to the loopers. If not the you should have a color guild loops that the thread goes through.Just follow them with the color on your tension on top . Thread yellow, blue, green, red in that order. Or if all else fails take it to a sewing machine repair shop and have it gone through if it has been that long since you used it. It may need to be oiled and adjusted.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:37 PM

that tying thing just doesn't work for me. Somehow I mess it up. I think it is serger block.

Originally Posted by maryparrish
The secret is not to unthread the Serger. Do you hear me laughing? The trick is to cut the thread near the cones and tie on the new colors, ( I double knot) run the Serger pulling slightly on the end of the thread until your new thread is in the needles. This will be running the thread all the way through to the needles and now you are ready to serge. Every once in a while my thread will come untied but I just thread the needle and continue with my project. Hope this helps. It is simple once you have learned the trick.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:50 PM

I would be glad to help..always thread the back looper (the first one one the right..then move over and thread the upper looper the second one from right..at this point i always loosen the looper tensions and with presser foot raised pull the looper threads to make sure they are moving through smoothly. repeat: do not thread the needle threads until after lower(back looper is threaded) depending on model and make..usuallin the inside needle is threaded and then the outside needle..again thread them with presser foot up (no tension) to make sure thread gets into tension.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM

if you wish to take a pic and email me with it i would be glad to help [email protected]
Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 PM

I always make sure that my presser foot is down while I am running the serger. As I said gently pull on the end of the threads that are already attached to the new thread. It really is a simple procedure.
I certainly hope it will work for you. Try again..