Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines do you ahve? >

How many sewing machines do you ahve?

How many sewing machines do you ahve?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM

I have 2. I have my mothers Kenmore 1317 zig-zag sewing machine that I learned to sew on. before she passed it on to me (when she passed away) I bought a ....you guessed it... a Kenmore. They are just basic sewing machines, but I really like them. I use both. They are set up with different colored thread, for whatever tasks I have to do. I can also wind bobbins if I run out of one color without moving my current sewing.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 AM

I have 2, the one I use is a Janome 525S. And the one I bought for Emily is a Jenome Hello Kitty--the green one.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 AM

Jeanette,

Don't feel bad about only having one machine. My parents gave me a Capitol sewing machine when I graduated from high school. It was my first zig zag and I used it hard for a good ten years. After I was married and had my first child I wanted one of those new "free arm" machines so that I could make baby clothes. I purchased a little "free arm" machine from Sears. That little Kenmore was a real workhorse. When I discovered Bernina 20 years later I sold my little Kenmore. It was still running just great. That Capital machine had it's own cabinet. When my daughter got married 5 years ago I gave it to her. THe poor thing finally gave up the ghost and the company no longer exists so it was not repairable. I have fond memories of all my machines.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Granny Cat
Originally Posted by Marcia
Wow!! I am overwhelmed at the number of sewing machines you ladies own. I have ONLY two. One is my Bernina that I do all my sewing on and the other is an old Singer featherweight that I take to classes, etc with me. I gave my youngest daughter my old 1975 Singer in a cabinet and she loves it better than her new Brother. Instead of buying sewing machines I spend my money on fabric. My stash overwhelms me-yet I keep buying!
is your featherweight a singer 132Q?...thats the one I have now and I took it to the one and only class I have taken so far...it is such a good little machine and easy to use for a beginer...
No, my machine is a 1957 Singer featherweight. I bought it off of EBay after much research and bidding. I got a great deall on it and when I had it appraised, it came in at twice the price I paid. It sews like a dream and I LOVE IT!!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM

1 Treadle (works great)
1 Pfaff Quilt Style (my everyday machine)
1 Pfaff Tiptronic (backup machine)
1 Pfaff serger
4 featherweight 221's (assorted models)
1 featherweight 222 (free arm)
2 Singer 20-10 (mini - chain stitch)

They all work, the treadle is the machine I learned to sew on as a child. The featherweights are collectors, but all work beautifully. I take turns sewing on them to keep them in shape.
The mini's are 'just because'.

I love them all and wouldn't part with any. I'm in the market for a red featherweight. Hopefully will have one soon.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Stupid question here- what's so special about the featherweight that they have such value?

Maybe it needs to get on my "must have" list. :)

Barb
Old 06-05-2008, 12:42 PM

I have 3 one a viking 415 A volge someone gave me and the top of the line viking serger
Old 06-05-2008, 01:35 PM

Barbm,

The featherweights are a light machine that are great for taking to classes and such. They have a wonderful straight stitch that can't be beat in my opinion. There isn't much that can go wrong with them. Just a simple style machine. I can do most of the maintenance on it myself. Did that answer your questions? I do think that they can be overpriced.

Debbie
Old 06-06-2008, 04:36 AM

sounds like something to be on the lookout for.... I like to maintain my machines myself.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:49 AM

---and I thought my 5 were more than average!!!
1. The Singer 301A I got when I graduated from high school - 50 years ago - it's still the best for heavy duty and buttonholes
2. The Necchi that was my first with something other than straight stitches
bought my husband in the mid 70's
3. The Pfaff I bought with push buttons when my osteoarthritis in my thumbs began to make turning dials difficult.
4. The Singer Featherweight I talked my Mother out of when I started taking quilting classes
5. The Baby Lock workhorse machine I now use mostly for my "sculpted threads".

I must admit that now I have one more sewing machine than my husband has wood turning lathes!