Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Recognizing Old Singer Sewing Machines >

Recognizing Old Singer Sewing Machines

Recognizing Old Singer Sewing Machines

Old 06-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Thank you for this posting. I learned to sew on a 15-90 in a cabinet much like the one pictured in your post. I inherited from my mom and it still works like a charm!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
get that 301 out and use it girl~ That's a fantastic machine for piecing! and fabulous for free motion quilting....
I second that, I love my 301. I had my treadle in an apartment. I have seen them used as servers, bars, lamp tables. I isn't just a sewing machine cabinet. I used mine once as a beside table.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:03 PM

There is probably still a reward for finding Hoffa, it could be worth the digging = more fabric + vintage machines. Just a thought.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:11 PM

The Featherweight is very small. I owned one that (regretably) I sold right before I married. (1968) -- Now know it was a mistake. It was given to me by an aunt that didn't sew. Her sister, my grandmother got me into sewing. I've since purchased several 221's (even a later Featherweight from England) at a local auction. They are great for piecing. Simple to use. I also have treadle machines and earlier Singers. Featherweights; until you actually own one, are easy to know. I also own a newer Hushvarna (however it's spelled) -- it's good for everthing else. I'm having a difficult learning curve with the computer part of it; ALTHOUGH -- I've worked with computers since the early 1980's -- weird, to me; this should be easy -- maybe it's the sewing versus the computer.

Linda
Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 PM
JJs
Banned

I found a Spartan today - a whole $10 - it's kind of sluggish and the motor doesn't work - no top to the case and the base is broken (the plastic base to the case, not the machine base)
Anyway, I think I have another motor around here somewhere - going to give the machine a real good going over and dh will make me a base for it...
The Spartan is a stripped down 99...
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Thanks for your posting of the Singer machines, it is nice to see what others talk about on this site. I bought a featherweight from e-bay, one owner, in excellent condition and just love using it for piecing. My husband wonders why my 2 expensive Berninas sit and I use that old machine!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I have 2 FWs, a 301. I do agree that the 301 is a real work horse. I have all the accessories that go with it too. Also I have a 401 with all the extras. A treadle and a hand crank. Plus a few more.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

wow! That was interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the pictures and descriptions. My mother (89) has some old machines. She will be moving to a retirement community next month and MUST downsize. We will be selling all but her new Janome. These pictures will be a tremendous help in identifying what we have. Thanks so much!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
I'm hoping this pdf will upload okay.
I've seen a lot of people on here get all excited about finding a "Featherweight" only to find out they actually have a 66 or 99 or 15 - not that there's anything wrong with those machines - they are all great but they fershure aren't Featherweights.
So I worked this up and hopefully it will help people recognize some of the various machines. I don't have a 201 or a few of the other desirable machines so didn't include them.
Print this out and take it with you when you are out looking at old machines!
I recently found a Singer 99-13 at an auction. Paid $25.00 for it. It doesn't have the knee control/foot control. It is also missing the key for the wooden case. Can you tell me if parts are available for this machine and...if it is worth restoring. I currently have it sitting on a shelf in my sewing room for decoration.
Lynn