Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone out there with Celiac Disease? >

Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 AM
DS

Bob's Red Mill Gluten free, wheat free, dairy free All Purpose Flour is wonderful. You have to use a Xanthan Gum as well. And the biscuit recipe on the back of the baking powder can is what I use. Make sure it says wheat free gluten free dairy free. They have a bread package but I am not too crazy about it. They do make others like pancake mix, buckwheat pancakes and Brownies too!!I am so happy that I don't feel sick all of the time after I eat. I thought everybody felt sick after eating. And like you I MISS BREAD. My fiance and I are working on a recipe for homemade bread. We are not quite there yet but we will make one.
Anyway I hope you can use the recipe
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 AM
DS

So amazingly hard
Old 06-10-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by DS
Bob's Red Mill Gluten free, wheat free, dairy free All Purpose Flour is wonderful. You have to use a Xanthan Gum as well. And the biscuit recipe on the back of the baking powder can is what I use. Make sure it says wheat free gluten free dairy free. They have a bread package but I am not too crazy about it. They do make others like pancake mix, buckwheat pancakes and Brownies too!!I am so happy that I don't feel sick all of the time after I eat. I thought everybody felt sick after eating. And like you I MISS BREAD. My fiance and I are working on a recipe for homemade bread. We are not quite there yet but we will make one.
Anyway I hope you can use the recipe
I have to be honest, I think Bob's Red Mill mixes are horrible!!! I used to do all my own baking, everything from scratch, and my father is a professional chef and my standards are pretty high. BRM tastes a lot like cardboard to me, though I do use his flours to make my own mixes. If you get a chance, try Pamela's Bread Mix. She also puts out a baking mix that makes pancakes that are great & a brownie mix that is very naughty. I can't just eat one! I add some molassas to the bread mix, which gives it more of a wheat flavor. Adding teff to a bread mix will help give it more of a wheat flavor and texture also, which is helpful if designing your own bread mix. I wish you and your fiance great luck and hope you come out with a fantastic bread recipe!! Let me know how it goes.

I know what you are saying and had to smile when I read your post. I also thought everyone felt sick after eating. And while it isn't polite to talk about, I thought everyone had the runs all the time after eating. Heck, you eat, your body gets rid of the old stuff... :roll: And mouth sores, didn't everyone have those too... :roll:

Sadly I cannot use Xantham gum. The microbes are grown on corn products and if you are allergic to corn then xantham gum is out. There are other things to replace it with though. And I make my own baking powder with arrowroot instead of cornstarch and it works great.

My grandson will be up here for a couple weeks in July and I think I'm going to go down and have him tested for Celiac. My daughter is always saying how he has a cold and I keep telling her it isn't a cold, it's allergies. I am going to feel horrible if I passed this down to him, but if he does have it, it'll be much easier on him to change his diet now so that he's used to it as he grows up.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 AM

My grandson will be up here for a couple weeks in July and I think I'm going to go down and have him tested for Celiac. My daughter is always saying how he has a cold and I keep telling her it isn't a cold, it's allergies. I am going to feel horrible if I passed this down to him, but if he does have it, it'll be much easier on him to change his diet now so that he's used to it as he grows up.
My grandson has horrible skin issues. Daughter has had him to numerous doctors, always the same thing, he'll grow out of it, or put this expensive prescription cream on him. But if he goes to get tested, he can never get insurance, because people tested positive for Celiac are uninsurable. I've tried to buy life insurance, and have been turned down. It's funny how the disease is serious enough that insurance companies won't cover you, but you can't get the medical world to get serious about the disease. (I had my doctor just tell me once, "oh that's too bad" - meaning I can have any wheat/gluten) Hey doc, I hate to tell you, it's a disease. Do they tell people with diabetes "that's too bad you can't have sugar". No, they "treat" them. Why is it not taken as serious as a person with diabetes? Both are highly dependent on diets. Just venting. Better now. :)
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 AM

My grandson has horrible skin issues. Daughter has had him to numerous doctors, always the same thing, he'll grow out of it, or put this expensive prescription cream on him. But if he goes to get tested, he can never get insurance, because people tested positive for Celiac are uninsurable. I've tried to buy life insurance, and have been turned down. It's funny how the disease is serious enough that insurance companies won't cover you, but you can't get the medical world to get serious about the disease. (I had my doctor just tell me once, "oh that's too bad" - meaning I cannot have any wheat/gluten) Hey doc, I hate to tell you, it's a disease. Do they tell people with diabetes "that's too bad you can't have sugar". No, they "treat" them. Why is it not taken as serious as a person with diabetes? Both are highly dependent on diets. Just venting. Better now. :)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
DS

Thanks, I'll research the Pamela Bread mix and other products. Actually, I am not fond of the wheat flavor or molasses. I do hope you find a bread recipe you enjoy. Thank you again for sharingyour knowledge.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
My grandson has horrible skin issues. Daughter has had him to numerous doctors, always the same thing, he'll grow out of it, or put this expensive prescription cream on him. But if he goes to get tested, he can never get insurance, because people tested positive for Celiac are uninsurable. I've tried to buy life insurance, and have been turned down. It's funny how the disease is serious enough that insurance companies won't cover you, but you can't get the medical world to get serious about the disease. (I had my doctor just tell me once, "oh that's too bad" - meaning I can have any wheat/gluten) Hey doc, I hate to tell you, it's a disease. Do they tell people with diabetes "that's too bad you can't have sugar". No, they "treat" them. Why is it not taken as serious as a person with diabetes? Both are highly dependent on diets. Just venting. Better now. :)
My grandson is only 2 and if I get him tested, since it isn't insured, I will pay the full cost. I seriously doubt, unless the govt gets their way and steals all our medical records (yep, you know where I stand on that!) then no one will ever know he's been tested.

I've gone through lack of insurance and then been reinsured and the company knew I had Celiac as well as Fibromyalgia and there wasn't a problem with re-insuring me. Of course, I did have to skip going to the doctor for about 18 months so that nothing was considered "pre-existing."