Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-09-2010, 06:52 PM
JJs
Banned

the ten dollar Spartan... got this yesterday, brought it home and took it apart :roll:
the base is in really sad shape - cracked, chunks broken out etc. DH will probably make me a wooden base for it... right now it's "repaired" with duct tape :mrgreen:
After I got all the nasty gunk off of it, cleaned off the scotch tape that somebody put on all the paint dings (rusted and flaking off).. I used auto touch up primer and paint (hey, this is a ten dollar machine). Put it back together then looked at the motor. Took a chance and plugged it in - nothing. So took the foot pedal off - it was really nasty and tried another one - the wiring had been replaced somewhere along the line because it's in really good shape. So then I took the motor cover off and duh - two wires had come loose - fixed that and the motor works fine - put it back on the machine, put on a new belt and this little thing FLIES.
Had a tension problem but think I got that fixed...
so cute little addition to my collection - not in real good cosmetic condition but sews fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-82567.jpe
Views:	429
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	82572  
Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JJs
the ten dollar Spartan... got this yesterday, brought it home and took it apart :roll:
the base is in really sad shape - cracked, chunks broken out etc. DH will probably make me a wooden base for it... right now it's "repaired" with duct tape :mrgreen:
After I got all the nasty gunk off of it, cleaned off the scotch tape that somebody put on all the paint dings (rusted and flaking off).. I used auto touch up primer and paint (hey, this is a ten dollar machine). Put it back together then looked at the motor. Took a chance and plugged it in - nothing. So took the foot pedal off - it was really nasty and tried another one - the wiring had been replaced somewhere along the line because it's in really good shape. So then I took the motor cover off and duh - two wires had come loose - fixed that and the motor works fine - put it back on the machine, put on a new belt and this little thing FLIES.
Had a tension problem but think I got that fixed...
so cute little addition to my collection - not in real good cosmetic condition but sews fine.
The reason it runs so good is because of the 200mph tape you have on it!!

It looks great and I know it feels good to be able to spend $10 on a machine and fix the little things that need fixing and being able to use it!!

Congratulations :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quilt addict
There's nothing like the customer service here.

Thanks
Lisa I will help you with anything you need!!!

Billy
AshleyO and Billy, I appreciate your help.

For Singer 337, I need a new plastic pully that goes on the motor, a belt and the 4 litter rubber feet for the base.

Need 4 of these little rubber feet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82581[/ATTACH]

Need the belt and black pully
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82582[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-82576.jpe
Views:	180
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	82581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-82577.jpe
Views:	157
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	82582  
Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM

JJs,

Love your little Spartan. Great job. I am a firm believer in duct tape. :?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned

Lisa PM sent.

Billy
Old 06-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deara
What did we say about a 3rd grader shipping better than some of the ones that we have seen?

I just opened my Singer Model 115. The bottom base is in pieces. The carry case was only surrounded by one (1) layer of 1 inch compressed styrofoam.

Blessings,
Sandi
Oh Sandi, I am so sorry this has happened to you again! Hmmm... makes me really leary of purchasing anything that I might have to have shipped. Linda :shock:
Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by kapatt
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
That being said, machines should NEVER be shipped in the case. There are a few people who know how to secure them in the base/case, but not many. The heavy machine winds up rattling around in the case, and you're lucky if it's only the case that's demolished.
Here's some information from treadleon re: shipping:

(http://treadleon.net/sewingmachinesh.../shipping.html)
I agree completely. I've gotten to the point that I only look for auction items that are within driving distance. (They are sometimes few and far between.)
If you do buy on ebay, take a look at the feedback and see what type of items they have shipped in the past. ...

Another thing to be cautious about is that many times, people don't know what model of machine that they are selling. (I've seen this on ebay and on Craig's List.)
I've seen people stating that their machine is a 401 Singer, (which zigzags and has attachments) but the picture of it is a 404 (that is just a straight stitch). Before you buy, find pictures (on the internet) of the model you want or the model they say they are selling and compare the two.
Many times an ebay seller will state that their machine is a featherweight when in reality it is a 99. (99s are very heavy.)
Kathy, you bring up a great point about CL and sellers not knowing what they are selling. At first, I thought I 'should' educate them on their machine... LOL (has to be the teacher in me)

and then I realized it is not for me to do that as it could cause their pricing to go higher. However, I always ask for close up photos of all sides of the machine including the bottom. And I ask for a photo of the serial number. That way it is me that knows what the machine is that I might be interested in.

BUT, the temptation for me to inform them is sewwwwwwwwwwwww strong, I can hardly hold it at times :oops: I am practicing though.

Wherever you are in Washington I am waving at you...
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM

And just think I started this thread to help the few and now I am an enabler!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thats right just keep on drinking the coffee!!!

Billy
See Doug, that's where it all starts... Billy invites us to his new shop and puts stuff in the coffee. I agree with Darcene, it IS hopeless... I have said to my DH sew many times... honey, this will be the last one for a longggggggg time. And the next day or the next week I have found another one that I am sure I (we) should have. We just returned from the land of vintage machines (Seattle) and sure enough... there was a newly acquired treadle covered in blue plastic and strapped to the back of our motorhome.

Wonder how it got there?? Can't even imagine how :roll: :roll:
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
See Doug, that's where it all starts... Billy invites us to his new shop and puts stuff in the coffee. I agree with Darcene, it IS hopeless... I have said to my DH sew many times... honey, this will be the last one for a longggggggg time. And the next day or the next week I have found another one that I am sure I (we) should have. We just returned from the land of vintage machines (Seattle) and sure enough... there was a newly acquired treadle covered in blue plastic and strapped to the back of our motorhome.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
And just think I started this thread to help the few and now I am an enabler!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thats right just keep on drinking the coffee!!!

Billy

:lol: Isn't it odd how they follow us home without us doing a thing to encourage it?