Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How to make the Northern Lights quilt >

How to make the Northern Lights quilt

How to make the Northern Lights quilt

Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM

I love the graphs - it makes everything so clear, leaves nothing to chance. I'm a language person, and I always did the same thing in any language I learned or taught - charts, charts, charts. And my students loved them... most of them, anyway. So your graphs are the visual equivalents of my charts.

Yes, first I want to try the Northern Star, which has really caught my fancy; then the Carpenter's Star. Unless I just can't control myself and start a block early (I know myself well!), it will be later in the year when I get to them. But get to them I will. :)
Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM

I love fabric shopping too! Just can't seem to put any colors together to make it work, that's the part i dislike! It makes me go s :roll: pull hair, strach my head, SIGH and etc. There are too many pattern, colors out there to choose from. And then there is everyone on board that makes the prettiest colors to coordinate and i say to myself "why didn't i think of that!?"
Anybody else has this problem?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 PM

HI Danmar,
this is most beautiful !!!
I would love to quilt this one for winter bed
great work!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Just look at some of the quilts posted on here, and you will begin to get an idea of the color possibilities. Some you will like better than others, of course, but that's to be expected. There are a number of good sources online for learning about color and fabric quality and thread, such as Janet Wickell's http://quilting.about.com/od/colorfa...olor_value.htm and some of Penny Halgren's articles at her site http://www.how-to-quilt.com.
Those are just two of many places you can learn. Aside from that, there's enough on this site to keep you busy for a long time.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM

yep...there are lots of project on QB to keep anybody busy for a long time. Appreicate the links you enclosed of info. thanks Alonda!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:57 PM

I can't seem to get this computer to save as a pdf file on your instructions, or am I using the wrong file type??? I receive a message stating it can't open as it has no program....any suggestions as I think I could follow them well...also, thank for the links I will check them out
have a great week end everyone!!!
you are so much help and I appreciate it very much
Linda
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by swablin
I can't seem to get this computer to save as a pdf file on your instructions, or am I using the wrong file type??? I receive a message stating it can't open as it has no program....any suggestions as I think I could follow them well...also, thank for the links I will check them out
have a great week end everyone!!!
you are so much help and I appreciate it very much
Linda
Hi swablin!

I did this on my computer to see if I could save them, so I'd know if anyone else could. Right click on the picture/graph page that you want to save. A dialog box will come up. Select "Save Picture As", and then the regular picture saving box will come up. Just save it as you normally would any other picture.
Pick what folder to put it in, Change the name on it if you want and then click Save.

If this doesn't work for you, please send me a PM and your email address and I will email you copies of all the pages. I did that for someone else already, as she couldn't get it to save either. Let me know if this works.
Thank you,
Marilyn
Old 06-10-2010, 07:29 PM

It worked lol
thanks so very much danmar!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by swablin
It worked lol
thanks so very much danmar!!!!
You're welcome. I should of looked here first, after I got your PM. I just asked if it worked alright. Glad that it did.
Marilyn
Old 06-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Marilyn,
My question was in regard to the amount necessary to cut
for one of the colors, and whether you could cut the pieces
necessary from one wof strip. Have not had a chance to
access the new pictures, but that was the jest of my question.
Have been out of town the last couple days, so not able
to reply. Thank you.