Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-12-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by humbird
Trying to attach photos of Quilt.
The first one is finished.
The second one is not finished, I am working on the border of it.
Congrats - it is beautiful!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 AM

I'm working on one now that I'm finishing for the family of our deceased niece. But it is not paper piecing. The hexagons are 3". So, I layer about 4 layers of fabric, cut with rotary cutter to 3" strips, then lay hexagon on it and hand cut the shape. I just eyeball the 1/4" seam. It is a take a long for me when traveling.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 AM

I actually found a completed top (it's all hand pieced and I think it's from the 1930's at a resale shop a few months ago) and am looking forward to backing and quilting it. It is quite a treasure and I was really excited to find it, completely unexpected, I paid $20 for it, it is full size bed size.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:10 AM

Go to blankquilting.com They offer cardstock pre-cut pieces in different sizes. Not all that expensive either. If you want they will send you samples just for the asking!!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Since I"ve never done this, or cut out paper templets, don't knnow if this will work or not. But, if you have a rotery cutter, and an extra blade, couldn't you just layer a few sheets of paper and cut threm out that way? And I think there is a website where you can download a sheetful of hexs ready to cut. That could be your top layer!
Try this website - great stuff for the do-it-yourself quilters

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 AM

i oredered hex from connecting threads already cut out for 2.80 . gonna use those have several sizes
Old 06-12-2010, 07:10 AM

What I want to know is where was all this information and ideas when I started my GFG? Lots of great ideas here. I can't add anything because you all have posted all that I've managed to learn and more!

Here are a couple of fun sites. There is some excellent information and ideas. I just start poking around and have found all sorts of great information. Enjoy!

http://hexagonquilt-along.blogspot.com/

http://hexagonquilt-along2.blogspot.com/
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 AM

I'm new to EPP. I did a demo for my quilt guild. To make my templates, I used my Cricut Expressions and experimented with different types of materials to make my Hex templates. I used Cardstock, paste board (the back of a cake mix box), heavy plastic. I liked the cardstock the best because it is inexpensive. The pasteboard was too thick for my liking nad the plastic was too expensive (heavy like stencil plastic). I have the file saved and can cut more whenever I want to. I made the file on my Sure Cuts A Lot program that works with the Circut.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 AM

I bought a pkg of hexagons out of template plastic at one of the quilt stores I happened to stop at. I have aGFG as a UFO. It is really quite easy with these. I had tried it the other way, and had a terrible time.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 AM

Honey, I just started my GFG. I have one block done. The one quilt I have of my grandmothers in good condition is a GFG. I love the pattern. I probably won't live long enough to finish it, but am going to try. I ordered the 1 1/4 precut shapes from paperpieces.com. I cut 3 1/2 " squares. I put the shape on the square and trim the corners etc. Then I baste all around and sew them together. I am using a Kona cotton yellow, it goes with the 30"s in the middle. Then I am using a darker color around it. Then the last row is a lighter color. When finished it makes a 11" block. You can actually reverse the color placement. I'd send a pic, but haven't learned how to do it using the computer. Good luck with your project, keep us updated. I usually work on mine at night in between redwork etc. It is a good project to take with you too. I am so happy others have the same love for the pattern. Happy sewing !