Quilt Challenge!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 PM

Patrice-Wendy/Quiltmaker10I - am not sure if the challenge is to put fabrics into color sorted boxes, or to make a "quilt top similar to something on Quiltville.com site. are their any size guidelines, other than anything by Christmas ?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 AM

I just finished another scrappy quilt top. I will even use more scraps to make a sawtooth binding on it. I have scraps 'beyond' the imagination anymore.
One of the ways I have gathered up more scraps than the imagination can see is by 'freecycling'. I belong to a group on Yahoo that is a recycling group. You would be more than surprised just how many people give away fabrics. Just recently I received a large bag, one of those tall yard waste bags, filled with fabrics. Many pieces were several yards while others I added to my already bulging scrap baskets. I also sort scraps by fabrics that are other than cottons. Those odd fabrics are great in crazy quilts. A few years ago my sister gave me the greatest Christmas gift. A collapsible basket which divided into 2 separate parts. Strip pieces go on one side and on the other loose pieces larger or longer than 4" There I can keep any number of baggies for different size squares or other shapes. The only problem is I keep running out of space! So I make more scrap quilts than anything else over the last several years. Anyway here is a quick pic of the top I just finished. The block name is " depression block"

queen size Depression block quilt top (scrappy quilt)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84025[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-84020.jpe
Views:	25
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	84025  
Old 06-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Julia, I love that, and the black really sets it off. Beautiful quilt, Where did you get that pattern? I love the bright colors of this quilt. Gerbie
Old 06-12-2010, 04:46 PM

juliasb that is a gorgeous quilt, love it.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Here is the link to the pattern. I am glad you like it. This is actually the second one I made. I told you I have lots of scraps :thumbup:

http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html
Old 06-14-2010, 09:43 AM

I love the idea. I have a pattern for a scrap quilt and have been wanting to do one and this may get me going. Given the economy I think it's a good example to see for others.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 AM

I love the idea. I have a pattern for a scrap quilt and have been wanting to do one and this may get me going. Given the economy I think it's a good example to see for others.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Andy323
Does anyone have a pattern for Birds in the Air....a great pattern for using up those scraps? I am open to block size...thanks in advance!
Andy
The new McCalls Quilting July/Aug issue has a beautiful quilt pattern called Homeward Bound which uses 98 Birds in the Air blocks. Blocks are 6"x6" and finished quilt size is 81x90. I'm adding this to my "hope to do list".
Old 06-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the pattern link, awesome,

nice way to use up scraps! I just love scrappy quilts!

Originally Posted by juliasb
Here is the link to the pattern. I am glad you like it. This is actually the second one I made. I told you I have lots of scraps :thumbup:

http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Google Goddess

Awesome Idea!

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
A leader/ender is something to start the chain piecing. Some keep small squares next to the sewing machine. When they are ready to start a chain of (whatever) for the current project, they piece a light and dark (same size) square together, and do the same for the end. That replaces the 'thread bunny' used at the beginning/end of a chain. When all the leader/enders are pairs, they piece two pairs together for leader/enders, etc. Eventually there are lots of 4 square groups that can be put together for a scrappy quilt. (This is just one example of the leader/ender idea.) On Quiltville.com there is more information.