Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
how do I know what kind of vintage sewing machine is for me??
What do you like? What are the features you want? What power source do you want to use?

There are numerous things to be asked on this subject but I can tell you this. Most of us that own Vintage machines will tell you our first one was something we were not looking for it just found us and we were bit by the bug.

I own all sorts of machines treadle powered are my most desired and used models but I have started getting into collecting the electrics like my 1963 Kenmore model 43, a 1962 Singer 500A, and my earliest is a 1926 Singer 128. But they all found me I didnt go looking for them.

This is one of those deals that if it feels good then do it!!

Billy
Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Linda you beat me to it LOL!!!!

Billy
Sorry! Just happened to be available. LOL. Billy, you're gonna like this Eldridge I picked up today.

It is sewwwwwwwww cute. I will take lots of photos. My DH even said it was well worth the trip (3 hours each way)! We truly are enjoying this together. But, we are beginning to run out of room. And, yes, we are considering which piece of furniture do we need. With Lynn's furniture making and my collecting vintage machines.. you can imagine how fast things are fillin' up around here.

Glad you are feelin' better. :lol: :D
Old 06-13-2010, 08:09 PM
EC

Billy,

How did your mission go today? and are you feeling any better?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

how do I know what kind of vintage sewing machine is for me??
What do you like? What are the features you want? What power source do you want to use?

There are numerous things to be asked on this subject but I can tell you this. Most of us that own Vintage machines will tell you our first one was something we were not looking for it just found us and we were bit by the bug.

I own all sorts of machines treadle powered are my most desired and used models but I have started getting into collecting the electrics like my 1963 Kenmore model 43, a 1962 Singer 500A, and my earliest is a 1926 Singer 128. But they all found me I didnt go looking for them.

This is one of those deals that if it feels good then do it!!

Billy
what power source do I want to use?? I do not want a hand crank if thats what you mean. I do want something in a neat color. I dont want cams. I dont know where to begin, it looks like a fun addiction!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

The mission fell through...... :cry:

It was not anyone's fault by far but between the horrible weather and traffic jam that Charlees brother got wrapped up in and the long wait we would have had we just decided to go back home.

If it were earlier in the day we would have gone to Hancock of Paducah and looked around there for a bit. But it was around 5:30pm and there was no way I could have made the drive there before it was closed.

So there might be a chance of me getting it tomorrow if her Brother skates through my area before my wife has to be at her doctors appointment and my sons dental check up.

Oh and I am not going to tell Charlee about what was riding around my trunk the whole trip that was going home to her because I think everyone should have at least one in their collection........... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 06-13-2010, 08:32 PM
EC

Oh and I am not going to tell Charlee about what was riding around my trunk the whole trip that was going home to her because I think everyone should have at least one in their collection........... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
You are "such" a tease!!!!!
Did you have sisters growing up? I'll bet they had a devil of a time with you!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

what power source do I want to use?? I do not want a hand crank if thats what you mean. I do want something in a neat color. I dont want cams. I dont know where to begin, it looks like a fun addiction!
Well there is the treadles that are out there, but it looks like a mid 50's or early 60's Japanese machine might be the ticket for you. You have the Japanese 15's which come in neat colors or the other more standard machines like the Morse, Toyota, Universal, Kenmore, etc that offered really funky colors and lots of chrome and buttons!!

Do you like Pink, Rose, Purple, and Golds? A lot of the Japanese machines came in those colors and I have a real nice Pearl Iris Kenmore that you would like.

Here is my Kenmore and few that you might like....

1963 Kenmore
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85505[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-85500.jpe
Views:	139
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	85505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-85501.jpe
Views:	350
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	85506  
Old 06-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EC

Billy
You are "such" a tease!!!!!
Did you have sisters growing up? I'll bet they had a devil of a time with you!!!
I had them yep I did and they gave me hell!!

Billy
Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Ewww... I like the National Home. What a pretty shade of pink!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Power Poster

I've been trying to decide whether to go to see an Eldredge "B". It has the treadle assembly and cabinet, but the lady says that she "refinished" the cabinet. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad, but in the pictures it looks awfully shiny, so it's probably very bad. Pictures show a machine that needs a lot of cosmetic cleanup, and it may be missing a few pieces. There are some decals, but mostly worn off. The price is $55, and she won't take less, because she paid $50 for it. Is this model worth the hassle? I don't know how many are around. The treadle is really neat, maybe just because it doesn't say Singer on it. ;-) Any opinions? It is nearby.