Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else LIKE WalMart fabrics? >

Does anyone else LIKE WalMart fabrics?

Does anyone else LIKE WalMart fabrics?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 AM

I like their fabric. They have some really nice ones, and IF I can afford it I buy it. JoAnn's, even with coupons is getting to expensive for "this pocketbook". I admit, Wal Mart doesn't always have the "name brands", but I haven't had any bad luck with it...
Old 06-14-2010, 04:54 AM

I use Wal-Mart fabrics for small projects and pillow cases, but not in my quilts. I have much better luck with good cotton from a local quilt shop. They all have fat quarter sales at certain times and you really get good fabrics for good prices.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 AM

I still have lots of wal mart fabric in my collection, our
larger walmart is now selling fat quarters for $1 and they are nice fabric. I'm still mad they took out the fabric departmetns
Old 06-14-2010, 05:07 AM
sss

My WalMart and just about all of the WalMarts around in my area have stopped carrying fabric. It is really awful! Up until this happened I bought their fabric and have had no complaints so far. sss
Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 AM

I love some of the Wal-Mart fabrics. Like everybody has said, you just have to watch what you buy. They especially get some great holiday fabrics and the price is right. And we're lucky with our Wal-mart, they said they would be having fabric well into 2011.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 AM

I love to get their fabrics for the Quilt of the Month have made a lot of the . Like to catch their fabrics when a store is closing its fabric dept. loaded up in Hermitage when they closed that down.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:46 AM

Our local Super WM just remodeled, and they no longer offer fabric on the bolt. The fabric dept. has been reduced to one dinky aisle with little fabric and that's all in pre-cut, packaged lots. I wasn't looking for patterns, but after I got home I realized I didn't see any sewing patterns. Now, I'm reduced to Hancock's and Hobby Lobby. We have no LQS--the last of those closed a few years ago. I have to drive 50 miles farther for that.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 AM

I bought some fabric from my LQS for over $8.00 per yd and then found the identical fabric at Wal-M for $3.97 per yd. Just have to watch for the hand of the fabric.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by bearisgray
Does anyone else like (or admit to liking) some of the fabrics from WalMart? (Please notice - I said SOME)

True, WM does NOT have the selection of a nice LQS, but I have gotten some GREAT fabrics there.
if my walmart still had fabrics, i would still be buying from them..
I second that... I would be too.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Administrator

when i first started making quilts i had no idea you could buy fabric online. i didn't find out about that until i joined the board.

up til then i bought 99.99% of my fabric at walmart. the nearest anything else is 45 miles away.

i still buy fabric at walmart, but as their prices have gone higher and i've gotten better at hunting down bargains, i've had to rely less on walmart.

i'm not saying that to "diss" walmart fabs. i point it out for those who've lost their local fab departments. if you surf the net, you'll find lots available for just about the same price as walmarts priciest fabs. there are even a few places to find fabs for under $3 per yard before shipping.

WalMartians Unite! but don't lose all hope if you lose your fab dept. just grab a beverage and a snack and surf. ;-)