Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Odd Handquilter Out????? >

Odd Handquilter Out?????

Odd Handquilter Out?????

Old 06-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by cbuchanan
Yep...do it all the time. What I can't figure out is how do some of the master quilters get 12 stitches per inch? I've practiced for 10 years and I'm still at 6-8 stitches per inch and I really, really try to turn my needle better but......

Any good tutorial suggestions?
I like Roxanne McElroy's "That Perfect Stitch." It helped me improve my stitch.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Yes, I am very fussy about my hand quilting. There are many things I am not very particular about but my hand quilting I am .
Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Absolutely! I don't particularly care how many stitches I get to the inch, but I like to have as consistent stitching as I can. I am a relative newbie to handstitching and have taken out stitches when they look funny. I hope to improve with more practice. I just finished the project that's my avatar and am now looking for a new one to do.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 PM

My mother taught me the basics of sewing and her motto was that if you take the time to make something then take the time to make it right. Unsew if you need to and make it look right. So... needless to say, I still unsew decades later.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:03 PM

I do also, I like to sleep at night. And I am becoming worse as I get older, about little things. I think I should get some help. I have become my mother, and I always told mayself that I wouldn't do this. Well here I am!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM

This is my first stab at hand-quilting. :D I do take out what looks bad also. But my later stitches look better than the first. Have about one 10 in square done. The more I look at it the more I know that I'm going to take it out. The only problem is that what if at the end my stitches are even better. It's very HARD to duplicate bad stitches. :roll:
Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Simple Pleasure
Is there another handquilter out there who plucks out the stitches that are a little too large, or too small, or a little crooked, or....and re-stitches?
Busy Hands...Happy Hearts
Patricia
Me too except I call it reverse sewing.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:18 PM

I am the epitomy of reverse quilting. I like my stuff the be as accurate as possible (it's my quirk and I live with it). I'm not happy unless I have about 10 stitches per inch and even. I was taught to handquilt by master handquilters. I married a Mennonite (those women can quilt). My Mother-in-law thought I needed to know 3 important things, how to bake zweibachs, peppernuts and hand quilt. I'm pretty much a bust on the first two because stoves are not my friend, but I learned to hand quilt. I'm probably her biggest source of amusement because I am so slow. She can still whip those quilts out at 89 and her stitches are awesome. I'll never be that good. Until then, I'll stitch, restitch, stitch...
Old 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM

Of course!!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Me. If it's bad enough that I would be ashamed for someone to see it. I'm pretty tolerant if it's my own piece. But for someone else, I'm really picky - to coin a phrase !!