Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with all your finished quilts? >

What do you do with all your finished quilts?

What do you do with all your finished quilts?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Unfortunately most of mine are unquilted tops, and are in a bin just sitting there. One completed one went to Mom, one to my Aunt. I gave a top my grandmother had done that I put borders on and had quilted to my brother, but no one in the family is really interested in or wants my quilts. So, they will just pile up in bins till I'm dead, then go to a garage sale.
Then some smart quilter'll snap'em up finish knowing how much time & effort went in...and pass on to someone who needs.

All of mine are given away, family, a few friends, some for charity.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 PM

craftybear, thanks for the "Quilts for Kids" link...you started another thread...tears, memories of losing an 8 yr. old to leukemia so many years ago and now, I have a path to take and directions to get to it.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 PM

Let's see -- every bed in my house has a quilt; my sofa and love seats have quilts on them; my 3 sons have 2 each; my brothers and sister have 2 each; given quilts to friends. Last year I donated 6 to Fisher House (Military Rehab). And I rotate quilts that hang in my house. So, I have a stack and yet I STILL WANT TO MAKE MORE! It's the addiction. I want to make more!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:48 AM

I have never kept one of my quilts. They are mostly crib size. This past christmas I made one for my DD and DDIL and they were a larger than crib size. Also made table runners for my grand daughters.
All of my children quilts go to hospitals in New Orleans and here in Alexandria.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:48 AM

I have a friend that is a Nun and she works with the poor/homeless I'm working on 12 queen size patchwork, nothing fancy, quilts that I will give her in the fall, so far I have 7 quilted, 5 need binding, and I have 2 more tops ready to quilt. I have a quilting machine which I used early in the morning before work.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:34 AM

For our family, I make mostly wall hangings now .

For charity, I make bunches of approx. 45" snuggle quilts for our nonprofit called Firehouse Quilts. We donate the snuggles to Colorado Fire Depts; the fire fighters give them to children they see on their emergency runs. It's a wonderful cause and the quilts are small enough to make really quickly. There are no restrictions on the type of pattern used, or the type of quilting done on them. We ask that the quilting and binding is very secure as these quilts are used and washed often.

If you'd like to see more about this great group and see some photos with short, heart-warming stories, www.firehousequilts.org and click on deliveries.

We'd love to have any small-ish (approx 45" square) quilt tops or completed quilts that you'd like to donate for this cause. You can mail them to:
Firehouse Quilts of Colorado, Inc.
P O Box 630463
Littleton, CO 80163-0463

If you have a minute to read this thank you from a very appreciative mother and see a pic of the cute li'l toddler that got one of our quilts, http://denver.yourhub.com/Evergreen/...onprofit/Story~803439.aspx

Thanks in advance!
Dusty
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 AM

In our area we have Children's Mercy Hospital. The hospital has fundraisers through the year. I had gone to a "Silent Auction" All the money that the auction raised went to the hospital. It might be a good way of donating some quilts and get a write-off as well as knowing that it is for a good cause. God Bless
Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 AM

This describes me to a T have to have some hand work and love doing it and gifting them.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 AM

I recently purchased one of those quilt ladders so that I can display them. Some are wall hangings and hanging in my stair wells. A lot are given to family and friends. Some go to charity. Eventually, they'll end up in my cedar chest in acid free boxes. Who knows? But I'll never stop making them.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 AM

Thank you crafty bear. I just signed up for Quilts for Kids. It sounds like a great program.