Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What other hobbies do you have? >

What other hobbies do you have?

What other hobbies do you have?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 PM

I've done all sorts of things i used to sew cloths for 4 girls til they didn't want to wear homemade cloths anymore. then went to making dolls. if it has to do with a needle i've done it,
except quilting and now thats where i'm at. so onward
Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM

Sew little time, sew much to do. :D
I did oil painting and drwaing as a kid. Am sorry I didn't do more with it, bust was just too much $.
I did string art, and needlepoint an high school.
Taught myself to crochet after marriage (found a baby blanket pattern and fell in love with it). Also did some needlepont that I got from Greece on a trip. Cross-stitched for over30 yrs. Got kinda bored with is so I started doing petie point, working on 40-count silk gauze with silk floss (still do that). Started knitting and quilting in 1997. Made three quilt tops, quilted one wall hanging (not binding). Then I put the 2 big and 1 little quilt away and kept on knitting. Have knit alot of afghans, shawls and scarves ( my daughter always wants a new scarf for herself or one of her friends). Am worjing on knitting alot of socks and do alot of quilting for Christmas presents. The first pair of socks I kept for myself. They are the most comfortable and warm socks that I have ever had. I also read ALOT. I have over 1000 books and counting. Have to keep them on a spreadsheet to keep track of the ones that I have read. :lol: I am also going to start helping out The Linus Project. Am excited about that.
Had 1 horse, 3 dogs 2 parakeets, and one ski boat when I was married. But now that I have gotten older and daughter is grown and gone I have alot of time on my hands. Work on all the above and spend ALOT of TIME on the computer. :lol:
Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Sew little time So Much to do......my motto also.

I love all kinds of sewing, which includes, Quilting & patchwork, bag making, gifts, applique & dressmaking. As well I crochet, knit, and make mohair teddy bears, cloth dolls and Christmas decorations

I have been in the machine embroidery hole for several years now as well.

I have been a doll collector for 35years, the main drawcard for me was dressing the dolls. I love the period dressing.

I used to do cake decorating & candy Easter egg making, but no time for that now. Also we are still self employed and live on 5 acres, so there is never any spare time.

Betty J
Old 06-18-2010, 03:45 PM

My #1 is quilting (absolutely hooked), making clothes for new granddaughter, cooking (making homemade bread is my favorite), and gardening - flower and veggie.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 PM

This is such a great thread. I feel like I know everyone a bit better now. So many talented people on this board! My other hobbies are needlepoint, cross stitch, occasionally I'll knit, crochet or needle tatting. I really like wood turning and making pens, but haven't had much time for it lately. I joke that doing laundry and cleaning the house must be my favorite "hobby" since I do so much of it. My second best love after quilting is reading.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Genealogy. If I'm not quilting, my nose is buried in some dusty old records in some dusty old courthouse. :)
Old 06-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Until I was in a car accident, my other 'hobby' was raising, showing and lure coursing (a sport they're involved in) basenjis (barkless dogs) Now, life has changed and in true quilter fashion, I'm changing with it, dealing with whatever the world decides to throw at me
Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Along with Quilting, I like reading,gardening (both veggie,& flowers)jelly making, photography (very amateur sp?). I've recently been mentoring a young girl who's learning to sew & garden. She also enjoys photography. She wants to learn to tie dye so I guess we'll learn that together.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 PM

My first love is growing orchids and from this I have turned to making purses with orchid designs, either with applique or hand embroideried orchids. I am learning about quilting from this wonderful board in order to make my purses more interesting. When people think about orchids, they picture ones like the moth orchids (Phalaenopsis) or the corsage orchids (Cattleya), but orchids are a very diverse family and there are so many different species that you might not recognise them as orchids. Here are a couple different ones I grow.

Phalaenopis gibbosa (Looks like an Easter Bunny to me.)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88532[/ATTACH]

Galeandra baueri
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88536[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-88527.jpe
Views:	7
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	88532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-88531.jpe
Views:	6
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	88536  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 PM

wow, rosy, what do you do in your spare time?