Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with all your finished quilts? >

What do you do with all your finished quilts?

What do you do with all your finished quilts?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:41 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one! My surplus quilts go to charities or Quilts of Valor for the troops. With times being what they are, I don't think you'll have any problem of finding a good home for them.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:04 AM

Is that a quilt you made? that IS Unique, what is the pattern called? this is for quiltmom 4, love that pattern
Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 AM

I have a permanent rod in my dining area where I hang one of my quilts. Visitors seem to like the idea that it's on display, plus it adds a personal touch to my home. I change it every 6 or 7 months so that the sun won't fade it.
Also, I have a large rack which was probably intended for towels. I fold them neatly and store them on these racks. This is in the computer room/den. Visitors are curious when they see them. I can take them down and show them off. The idea is to have, at least, some of them in plain sight so that people know you're a quilter when they enter your home!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 AM

mpspeedy...you are speedy. What is a Linus quilt? Can you post one? Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 11:47 AM

I've got a very large family and my goal is to giv each one a quilt. Then when I need a quick fix I make a charity quilt, there are hundreds of places that need quilts.

Try the place below if you get the need to make a quilt and have no place to put it.

http://www.patchesfabrics.com/philanthropy.html
Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 PM

I've got a very large family and my goal is to give each one a quilt. Then when I need a quick fix I make a charity quilt, there are hundreds of places that need quilts.

Try the place below if you get the need to make a quilt and have no place to put it.

http://www.patchesfabrics.com/philanthropy.html
Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I have made several for babies but still have 3 in progress for me????
Old 06-19-2010, 02:41 PM

I have been quilting about 10 years and made so many full size bed quilts. I have 7 children and made quilts for each and every one plus 9 grandchhildren --and 3 years ago they all got a nice big warm quilt for christmas They loved them and I loved that they love them
Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 AM

In my case Linus quilts are usually just a yard and 1/2 by the width of a children's novelty print or panel sandwhiched with batting and usually a colorful flannel back. I make them envelope style, turn them and use a decorative stitch and colorful thread to simply machine quilt them. The Linus project is nationwide. Women and or men and service groups all over the country make simple or more complicated quilts to be given to children in hospitals, ERs, shelters and or any other situation where they might need a little comfort. Many state troopers and or more local police carry a few in their cruisers for accident victims or children rescued from an abuse situation etc. The chapter I belong to in Carroll County, MD is chaired by a friend of mine. We routinely collect, sort and distribute about 600 quilts a month to various hospitals etc. within a 60 or so mile radious of our county. They can be elaborate quilted creations, crocheted or knitted, fringed fleece or just bound prequilted fabrics. They range in size from isolete size to twin bed size that we save for teens. We get the quilts from church groups, other service organizations, individuals, school children doing service hours etc. etc. Local quilt guilds also support the efforts. Most of the LQS as well as machine dealers and even some of the Walmarts act as drop off points for finished quilts. Volunteers pick them up from those places, record the names of the donors and tag them with a label that says Carroll County Linus Project and then drop them off to a central location where one day a month a group of volunteers sort and bag them for various destinations. Our local county hospital is always first on the list for receiving quilts. Another group of volunteers picks up the bagged quilts and delivers them to the various hospitals and shelters etc.
The group also does a little fundraising to pay for our supplies like bags, the printing of our tags etc and the newsletter postage. A thank you note is sent to every person who donated a quilt at least for the first time they contribute. We raffled off a quilt last year that one member made the top, I handquilted it and others took it around to local festivals and events to sell the tickets.
I don't have any photos of my Linus quilts they come and go so fast.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:13 AM

I have quite a few quilts that are finished but haven't given them out. I just feel they aren't good enough to give out. I have made a quilt for my mom, brother, son and daughter and a few for me. I'm also attached to them and so far just keep them and put them out. Maybe I think the quilts should be perfect or someone will see some of my mistakes. I have been quilting for 3 years and still some just don't go together perfectly.