Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Darcene, good for you.

I am going back to the Tag Sale I mentioned a couple of days ago tom. morning. We went today and all 6 machines were still there. They were half price. Still, $175.00 each is too much and one was $50 but I don't care for it. No one was really looking at them while I was there. I told DH I intend to be there early tom. to see what is left (I'll miss church) and get the Franklin treadle. We'll see how much it will cost me.

That poor treadle is crying out for love. Oh my!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Hi Billy, You should open a 'training camp' . :lol: :lol: :lol: Anne
Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Darcene, good for you.

I am going back to the Tag Sale I mentioned a couple of days ago tom. morning. We went today and all 6 machines were still there. They were half price. Still, $175.00 each is too much and one was $50 but I don't care for it. No one was really looking at them while I was there. I told DH I intend to be there early tom. to see what is left (I'll miss church) and get the Franklin treadle. We'll see how much it will cost me.

That poor treadle is crying out for love. Oh my!
Don't be too shy or intimidated to offer less....if they want to sell they just might take a lot less...you can always come up if you have to....
Old 06-19-2010, 05:58 PM

It amazes me that no one (not members here) seem to want the sweet old treadles. When I go to an antique store and ask if they have any machines, they look at me like I have 2 heads. Most tell me they can't give the machines away. :shock: :cry:

I also collect sewing notions and baskets. They are so hard to find. They must have gotten thrown away, along with the machines. Occasionally I will luck up and find a basket with goodies still in it. I want to keep them to show my DGD what her great grandma's sewed with. I wish more people loved the old sewing things as much as the kitchen stuff the stores are full of.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Darcene, Good for you, oh for the joy of auctions. I can't find any in this area.

I hope you grow to love all the ones you have rescued. :P
I told myself that I could always part them out or just put them out of misery by taking them to the recycling center but as is always the way with me and strays I am starting to look at them as worth working on and saving and loving....they are all lined up on the large cutting table watching me as I type and I can feel the tug on my heartstrings already..... each of them has a story and a history..if only they could talk...I'm probably a goner for sure...but, I will wait and see what Dr. Billy and Dr. Charlee think before I start any major renovation on any of them.....
Old 06-19-2010, 06:06 PM

I'm visting my Dad again and we had a birthday dinner for him down at my late Grandmother's home with the rest of the family, today. Well I sat at the table and right to my right was my Grandmother's Singer. That was such a tease. I wanted to look at it so bad. There was a towel on top of it with a TV sitting on top. I wanted to move that TV sooooo bad. I do know it was a treadle but was turned into an electric. It is still in the treadle base and it is in excellent shape. I can't remember for the life of me what the machine looks like but I am so hoping I get to get a look at it on this trip. I wanted to open up those drawers and see what was left in them....something my Grandma had touched and used. I know, I sound silly. If I had touched that machine while all the "Sisters" were there I would have been probably beaten severly about the neck and shoulders....they be my aunts..lol. One of the Aunts knows that I want it so we shall see if that happens in the future. All I really want is to keep it in the family, however it would be really cool to see the machine and get the serial number, you know? Keep your fingers crossed for me please!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
It amazes me that no one (not members here) seem to want the sweet old treadles. When I go to an antique store and ask if they have any machines, they look at me like I have 2 heads. Most tell me they can't give the machines away. :shock: :cry:

I also collect sewing notions and baskets. They are so hard to find. They must have gotten thrown away, along with the machines. Occasionally I will luck up and find a basket with goodies still in it. I want to keep them to show my DGD what her great grandma's sewed with. I wish more people loved the old sewing things as much as the kitchen stuff the stores are full of.
So many people look at them and just see "old"...I think I might have forgotten to mention that I also bought two boxes of vintage clothing and linens.....if it is sewing related the auctioneers always seem to look at me first when they are starting the bidding.....I must be an easy sell.....
Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Well, to make a short story long.....I went to an auction today looking for attachments...instead I bought 5 (yes, that is five) machines as a group for $15.00 (yes, that is fifteen).....poor babies are in pretty bad shape....some may recover, some I'm not so sure of.....see for yourself.....
I dont like you any more!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a wonderful haul Darcene and the 1879 Singer is really a Singer 9W that was made from left over parts from the Wheeler and Wilson acquisition in 1906 I think. Charlee can tell you the exact date on that one. But you have some really nice machines and when I go on my trip this September you know I am coming there for a day or so!!

Billy
Old 06-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Icandothat
Billy,
The scotts liquid gold I find at Home Depot is a cleaner and preservative.
Is this the right one?
Thanks.
Yes Ma'am it is just make sure its in the pour bottle!!

Billy
Old 06-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Well, I finally found a treasure when I was out at yard sales looking for Singer attachments. I almost tripped over her actually. If I read the number right she is a 99 made in 1940. The guy plugged her in for me and she sounded pretty good. Maybe a little slow, but she needs a good cleaning. The whole machine is pretty dirty. The front has orangey yuck all over the silver. And there is a lot of pin rash. But the decals looks good. The cabinet needs refinishing, but is in pretty good condition otherwise. Oh, I got her or 45 bucks. Not too bad?

I found two others but the old guy wanted way too much for them. One was a nice coffin top treadle. I did not pull the machine up to see what it was, but it was in filthy and needed to be refinished. He wanted 375 for it. Uh, no. The other he had was a fairly modern looking cabinet with a pretty hefty looking machine in it. He tried to tell me it was the first machine Singer ever made. Maybe the first one they made in the 40s or 50s. That one was 300. Oh well, the search goes on.

Pictures of my newest baby.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-88657.jpe
Views:	378
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	88662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-88658.jpe
Views:	377
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	88663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-88659.jpe
Views:	372