Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm upset...he didn't like it >

I'm upset...he didn't like it

I'm upset...he didn't like it

Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 PM

Oh No! Everyone here has said all that would come out of my mouth so I will not repeat other than to say, please do not let this unfortunate happening discourage you from keeping the art of quilting alive and well. You have talent, especially since you said this was the first in many instances. Keep up the beautiful workmanship!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Oh No! Everyone here has said all that would come out of my mouth so I will not repeat other than to say, please do not let this unfortunate happening discourage you from keeping the art of quilting alive and well. You have talent, especially since you said this was the first in many instances. Keep up the beautiful workmanship!
I agree. I know this doesn't help you with your dad, but mine acted like this with everything that I gave him right up to the day he died. I never gave him a single thing that he liked, but I kept trying. Keep your chin up and your head held high!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

I will apologize for him. Some people don't realize how badly their words will hurt others. I love your quilt. You did a wonderful job.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:04 PM

I'm so sorry that your Father didn't like his patriotic wall hanging you made just for him for Father's Day no less. Thankfully I haven't been in that situation yet, but I do know my day will come!!
My DGM always told me that if you don't have something good to say then don't say anything at all!! I've always tried to live that way. Too bad he wasn't brought up that way.
Keep your chin up and go get that wall hanging back and sent it to Charlee's DH!!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:04 PM

I love it! I would love a gift like that-maybe he just doesn't truly understand how much work and effort and love you put into the project and if he did understand maybe he would have reacted differently.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 PM

Just wanted to say that your quilt is just beautiful. Great work, and you should be proud of it. Sorry that Pop didn't like it, it is his loss. Remember that you gave him a lovely gift, you are not at fault in any way. Don't let it stop you from moving forward with other projects. Perhaps he is the type that can't show anyone approval. Some "old goats" are like that.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:18 PM

It is a beautiful quilt, it has nothing to do with you, its all about him. Some people don't know how to accept gifts. Bring the quilt home.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Kas

Your wall hanging is great! Take it back. Expain that he hurt your feelings, but you love him anyway. I mean, Dang! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. How about a nice thank you and leave it at that. Weren't they the ones supposed to teach us the manners? My dad got very mean as he got old. My feelings are still hurt by some of the things he said, but I can't discuss it with him because he died last summer. So, stinker or not, at least you still have him.

And if I came over to someones' house and saw the dog on the double wedding ring I made (very hard quilt) I would have to take it home. Save it for the grandkids or something. Again, Dang!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

gosh I am so sorry this happened to you. It is a beautiful quilt! This is another reason I wont make quilts for my family.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 PM

I felt your pain just reading your post and my heart goes out to you. I could never imagine getting a rejection like that from someone as close to me as a parent. I am so sorry he didn't appreciate the effort and gesture after you tried so hard and gave him your very first quilt, which looks great and very patriotic to me.

Blame it on "old" age and keep quilting. At least you have a supportive hubby and an accuquilt :)