Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm upset...he didn't like it >

I'm upset...he didn't like it

I'm upset...he didn't like it

Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 AM

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry he hurt your feelings like that!

Not that my opinion will make it better, but I think it's well done and very pretty. I think it's patriotic too.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
How old is your father? Has he seen a doctor lately? Maybe he's not well?
I agree mary ... My hubby got a bad attitude when he came down with diabetes. When it was balanced out, he was himself again.

I am very sorry that your hard work wasn't recieved well.It is really beautiful!

My mom did that to me once when I made her a light brown three piece suit! Later she said she never got so many compliments on something in her life and wore and wore it. Maybe he just needs time to look at it to realize how much work you put into it.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:15 AM

I would hang it in my home in a hearbeat!!!!! It is gorgeous!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by taiboo
I know it's not perfect, but I MADE it for him....I didn't even get a thank you :-( he just folded it and put it aside.
Does he tend to be this way or is this out of character for him? If it's out of character for him, I suspect something else is going on with him - it's so sad to me when people are thoughtless like that. I am SORRY.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:23 AM

So sorry he didn't like it. I like it & I think you did a great job
Old 06-20-2010, 07:25 AM

I think it is beautifully made and looks very patriotic. I am sorry that your father hurt your feelings.

Kyia
Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Was he being a MAN!
Just don't let that discourage you in quilting. I just love it and would be proud to hang it in my home :thumbup:
BIG [[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]
Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 AM

the first quilt I made was also for my father. Shortly after my mother died he asked that I use her old fabric (she made lots of clothes) and make a quilt for him. I had never made a quilt and hated to sew. I took a class and made a scrappy trip around the world. He HATED it. I now have it and love it. He too is a perfectionist and as it was not perfect or what he expected (I really do not know what he expected) he gave it back.
Over the past 20 years since that first quilt I have given him many others (my stepmother when she was alive also). When he went to live in assisted living he told me that he invites the women residents to his apartment to look at my quilts. He may not like them, but they do have a use for him. At the young age of 92 he has a 99 year old lady friend!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 AM

My first thought is "Is this typical of your father througout your relationship or is this something new?" If he's reacted like this to things you have done all along, it IS very hurtful, but not to be unexpected. If this is a new reaction, perhaps he's always been complimentary and supportive, then purhaps there is something else going on. I know as my parents age, there are behaviors related to medication and/ or aging/ dementia that have made them react differently than I would have expected. Just a thought.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 AM

The quilt (that is currently my avatar) was made for my MIL. I cried after I gave it to her because she didn't like it. She said she had nowhere to put it. (Like I had done her a disservice by giving her something she had to find a place for.) I was so hurt. My dh was pretty upset with her too. She tried later to make it up, which helped some.

She does put it out each Christmas across the back of her sofa. That makes me feel better.

This past Christmas, she knitted me a lovely afghan that has graced my livingroom sofa since. Maybe it was a peace offering because she knew how upset I was.

Maybe he will come around and eventually start to like the gift, but I know it hurts. Give him time.