Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am appaled!........or am I just cheap? >

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Someone asked what diabetic socks are. They are non-binding socks for people with diabetes. Socks that leave elastic marks on the legs are very bad as they can cause blood clots in diabetics. Also socks with a toe seam can cause blisters or rubbing and can cause sores which can be slow to heal in a diabetic as they often have poor circulation in the feet and legs.
I get my socks here: www.sugarfreesox.com they are nice and comfy and look good too.
Sharon W.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Not cheap... sadly just the way it is :roll:
I've even seen fabrics at $12.50/yd. now. Needless to say I didn't buy it. It makes my huge stash look very friendly. I've seen prices going up on "eQuilter, com" too. They have such gorgeous stuff but that's getting beyond me, too.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM

I think you are so lucky to pay $10 a yard for fabric. Down here in Oz we pay $20 to $26 a metre for fabric from most quilting shops.A metre is only 3 inches more than a yard. We can get cheaper fabric at a large chain store, but the quality is not the same. :roll:
Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM

I'm on a limited income as we are retired. I always bought fabric when I needed it, but now it will be less. It isn't only fabric, our utilities, property taxes, food, clothes, medicine and everyday expenses are getting out of reach. Quilting is a nice hobby but now it maybe a luxury.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by QUILTKNIT1
A recent newspaper article about the price of cotton going up 55% at the end or beginning of this month (I don't remember which) will cause of anything cotton to rise considerably. Do not blame your LQS.
Sure wish I could read the article!

Say, does anybody here know how to read commodity price charts? I found a 20-year chart showing the price of cotton:
http://www.cstcharts.com/cgi-bin/chartge.pl?ct.m
and a 2-year chart (which is more encouraging, as it shows prices leveling off: http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/CT/w
Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 PM

I would have to find something else to do. Or go buy old clothes and cut them up. Its cheaper to buy a pre-cut kit than to buy by the yard.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Dyxie, I live in Pleasanton, about 35 miles south of San Antonio, right off I-37. I have a small quilt shop and I am closing it at the end of July. Local people would rather make the trip to S.A. than give the business to the local merchants.
Virginia
Old 06-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by QUILTKNIT1
A recent newspaper article about the price of cotton going up 55% at the end or beginning of this month (I don't remember which) will cause of anything cotton to rise considerably. Do not blame your LQS.
Sure wish I could read the article!

Say, does anybody here know how to read commodity price charts? I found a 20-year chart showing the price of cotton:
http://www.cstcharts.com/cgi-bin/chartge.pl?ct.m
and a 2-year chart (which is more encouraging, as it shows prices leveling off:

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/CT/w
Cotton is bought and sold on the futures market. It's much like gambling. Based on the amount of cotton produced and the amount of cotton sold the market will vary. If it is a bad year for cotton growers and the demand remains the same or increases then the price will go up. If growers have a bumper crop and the demand remains the same or decreases then the price goes down. It's the principle of supply and demand. I worked in the cotton industry for 25 years. In 2006 the price bottomed out and I was laid off. That's when I started quilting. Best thing ever happened to me.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 PM

On Maui the quality quilting cottons are $10.98 and $11.98. Neither of the shops carrying this merchandise have sales or coupons to any extent. Unless I really want it now, which is rarely, I rely on the internet for all fabric.

LindaNan
Old 06-20-2010, 07:01 PM

how about 13.00, 14.00 a yard? Yes, I have seen a price increase in material. We quilters have to really think about where we shop from now on. I still am satisfied with Fabric .com, I have not had a problem yet. Plus I wait for sales and buy enought to get free shipping.